Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When entering us on h1b

Hi forum gurus,
    I had a doubt regarding h1b visa. my employment start date is 20th june, 2011, but i have to enter us on 1st june for my orientation, which is not included in the employment period. i have heard that i can't enter us before 10 days. Is there any way? and can i enter on b1/b2 visa (which i currently have and is valid for 10 years?)

thank you so much everyone.

If you enter in B1/B2 (Possible only if the B1/B2 is stamped for the same company that sponsored your H1B), then you cannot work for the H1B employer (B1/B2 is not intended for work. It is just for business meetings). You need to go out of U.S and return back In H1B visa again to work for the H1B employer on or before 20th June. A COS from B1/B2 is not advisable and even if you go for it, you cannot work until the COS gets approved. If your H1B effective date is June 20th, then the best suggestion is to enter in H1B visa on or after June 11th instead of taking unnecessary chances with B1/B2 just for the purpose of orientation.
    Last edited by shervin143; 12-12-2010, 02:21 PM.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

thank you so much shervin143!

Comment

Entering on B1/b2 and then exiting and entering on H1B is technically legal as long as you are not working for anyone.

If you want my opinion, dont do any of this nonsense. Just wait 10 more days and enter directly on H1b. Just tell your employer it is not possible to enter sooner than 10 days from date of visa validity. Saves you so much headache. Not worth it.
        Last edited by kkinusa; 12-12-2010, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Thank you kkinusa. it would've been just fine, if it wasnt for the compulsory attendance on the contract with my employer. He has said that it is compulsory for me to attend the orientation.

anyway thanku so much.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X