Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laid off/severance package

Hi,
    I recently got laid off and my last date of employment is after 2 months when my company wud revoke my H1-B.
    I have been offered a severance package for salary of 2 months after employment termination + some bonus.

My question is if I get a new job right now and get my H1 transferred, can I still get these months of pay + 2 months of severance package, Along with salary from néw company ? Wud that be legal as u r supposed to be employed with only 1 employer on H1 visa ?

If not, then how can I avail the severance package as other us citizens ? And get it's benefit ?

Once you get the new job, you can opt for the rest of the severance to be paid in lumpsum. However, technically, you are out of status the day you are out of your job. The severance package procedurally gives you paystubs to help with the transfer of H1b.

No issues with accepting the severance pay as you will not be working for the company.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Hi txh1b,
      My situation is that my end of employment date is feb end and I have an employer who is ready to do my h1.
      Now can I not inform my current employer, and take pay n severance package from them and at the same time join new company in mid-Jan ?

Comment

You can. That is what my post alluded to.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X