X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 Visa renewal date?

Currently I am in USA on H1B.

My Current Visa Expired : 2th Aug 2009.
    My Current H-1B Petition/I-94 Expires: 12th June 2011.

I have received by new H1B Petition today for 3 years.
    My New H1 approval will expires on 12th June 2014.

Question:
    1) When I apply for H1B Visa interview, which H1B Receipt number should I use?
    Old one (or) the New
    2) Up to what data will I be getting the visa ? old Petition Date(or) New Petition Date?
    3) In DS-160, there : Intended Length of Stay:___. to how many months should I keep.
    With Current Petition is : 4 months. (If I get appointment in Feb)? (or)
    With New Petition+ Current petition is : 36 + 4 = 40 Months?

--
    I called VFS delhi number.the one who took my call is not clear..
    first he said Sir, ur new petition is valid from MAy . so if you come before May to India say Feb and leave in March. on what pettion will you be working for March to May....again he kept me on hold and said sorry we dont know the answer f ur question pl contact the embassy. again I think what he said may also be correct because on what pettion wil i be working from march to may?

--

1) When I apply for H1B Visa interview, which H1B Receipt number should I use? Old one (or) the New
    >>> New one.

2) Up to what data will I be getting the visa ? old Petition Date(or) New Petition Date?
    >>> When you attend the visa interview, show both the apporval notices and they would be able to give you a visa that is valid until the extended petition's expiry date.

3) In DS-160, there : Intended Length of Stay:___. to how many months should I keep.
    With Current Petition is : 4 months. (If I get appointment in Feb)? (or)
    With New Petition+ Current petition is : 36 + 4 = 40 Months?
    >>> 40 months.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks as always again shervin143.

My office asked me to check the following:

> please confirm with the consulate that they can issue you a visa stamp based on two H-1B approval notice ?
      > the visa stamp will need to have a notation regarding the validity of your current H approval. ? Check that h is it done in ur home country?
      -- what do they mean by this?
      and this what they said:
      This is because your new approval notice will not be valid until May, thus if you are issued a new visa stamp based on the new approval, the visa stamp will need to have a notation regarding the validity of your current H approval.

what do they mean?

In one way...what about the VFS guy asking a question:
      when ur H new is valid from May.
      when you are going back to h which H will u work ?
      (pl excuse me if I asking the same q in different way..want to be clear)

Comment

Well, I think they are asking you to make sure you get the visa until the extended petition's expiry date. By carrying both the approval notices, you can get a valid visa until the extended petition date and you will still be able to re-enter U.S before May.

Just so that you are comfortable, write an email to VFS helpdesk/Consulate with the details of both the petitions and show the reply to your employer.

Comment

Thank you shervin143.

I posted the same question to Hyderabad Consulate 4 days back . there is no response... is there any way we can get the mail response from Consulate other than what I posted in internet..I mean if my frd or any one goes in person?

Comment

You can also try calling the VFS helpdesk. You can also email the VFS helpdesk at other locations.

Comment

I tried VFS. They said they do not know the answer and I should mail Embassy.
              I will try may be Chennai VFS

Thankq again

Comment

I have done it in the past and got stamped for duration of 5 months (old petition) plus 3 years (New petition) for a total of 3yrs 5 months.

Issue is at POE, the officer may issue the i-94 based on 1 petition only. Upon questioning, he said he can issue it for a max of 3 years and said he could change it from 5 months to 3 years.

It happened to me but I just took it as is (5 months), walked to the Deferred adjudication CBP office at the airport, met with a supervisor and got it corrected.

Some IOs at POE just don't know the rules and there is no point in arguing.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X