Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 Visa Clarification

Hello

My name is karthik and i am currently working in the US with H1B Visa. I am going to get married on April 21st only. I have several questions which i want to get clarified. hope that you can clarify the below questions.

1. Can I fix an appointment with the US consulate before marriage, since we have not married yet her last name in the passport is her fathers name. so can she pay the fees and fix the appointment.
    2. Do i need to add the spouse name in my passport before going to the consulate.
    3. Do my Wife needs to change her surname to my name in the passport before going to the consulate.
    4. Can we add the spouse name in the passport after coming to US.

Please do the needful

Thanks
    Karthikeyan.G

1. Can I fix an appointment with the US consulate before marriage, since we have not married yet her last name in the passport is her fathers name. so can she pay the fees and fix the appointment.
    >>> Yes. You need to be married as of the date of the visa interview.

2. Do i need to add the spouse name in my passport before going to the consulate.
    >>> Not required. Marriage certificate will do.

3. Do my Wife needs to change her surname to my name in the passport before going to the consulate.
    >>> Not required. Marriage certificate will do.

4. Can we add the spouse name in the passport after coming to US.
    >>> Yes. You can also decide not to go for name change.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

If you plan to change your wife's name after marriage, she has to get it changed on her passport and then apply for a Visa.
      If she does not change her name, you can book the appointment before marriage with the same name. But the Visa interview must be after marriage.

If last name on her passport is empty, it is a good idea to change it to father's/husband's name for future. Since otherwise her Visas will have FNU and cause unnecessary confusion.
      This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

thanks for the info it is really helpful, but i need few more
        so since she is applying for h4 is she is the principal applicant or still i am the principal applicant, if i am the applicant do i need to go with her during the interview

Also will they ask for my client details because when i got H1 visa stamped i got an appointment letter which tells that i am going to work in an internal project but right now i am in a clients place. so can i ask her say that i work internally because i dont think so i can get a clients letter

Comment

She is the principal applicant..She has to go alone for the visa interview..U arent allowed beyond the entrance point..They do ask all ur details like client info,,lil bit of project info,,ur role in the proj,,since how long u r working in US..SO prepare her for thse kinds of questions..I hav been thru this so telling u with personal experience..

Old posts reply::
          You can book a visa slot before marriage...But u shud b married by the visa appointment date as marriage certificate n photos are must....No need to add spose name in passport..U can add it later after coming to US (if u wish to)..Surname change isnt required..
          Last edited by barbie_252; 01-28-2011, 03:37 PM.

Comment

This information is wrong. She will be the dependent applicant when she goes for H4 stamping.

Originally posted by barbie_252 View Post
            She is the principal applicant..

Comment

[QUOTE=gkarthik21;228466]so since she is applying for h4 is she is the principal applicant or still i am the principal applicant, if i am the applicant do i need to go with her during the interview
              >>> You are principle applicant. She is a dependent on your H1B. She can go alone for the visa stamping.

Also will they ask for my client details because when i got H1 visa stamped i got an appointment letter which tells that i am going to work in an internal project but right now i am in a clients place.
              >>> Always the truth. If the VO figures out that she is giving false information, they can ban her for life from entering U.S. Send her all your latest documents including the client letter.
              https://www.immihelp.com/h4-visa-stamping-documents/

Comment

thanks for all the information and clarification...that was really helpful..

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X