Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In USA on H1B. Sponsoring co not looking too good financially, weighing up options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In USA on H1B. Sponsoring co not looking too good financially, weighing up options

My sponsoring company is having some financial troubles to the extent that they're talking about salary cuts, furlough days, maybe letting a person or two go. I just want to know what are my options in light of certain scenarios. Relevant details, perhaps: Worked here on H1B since December, and on a J1 for 18 months before that; 24 hours a week H1B; company is a non-profit.

1. Is my H1B transferrable to another company or organisation? If so I plan on looking for alternative employment very soon
    2. My current H1B is for a 24 hour working week (I guess, part time). Does this mean I could only find jobs that have similar working arrangement or is it irrelevant?
    3. My current H1B sponsor is a non-profit. Does this limit me to looking for work in the same sector? Could I look for work in the commercial or even government sectors?
    4. How long do H1B transfers take?
    5. How much would it cost to do a transfer?
    6. At what point would current employer need to know about the process Could I keep them in the dark in case transfer fails?
    7. If the company fails and I have nothing lined up, what are my options? Would I be obliged to leave the US, and if so, what length of time would I have before I would need to do this?

Thanks for any help with this. I'm seeing a lawyer next week to get some concrete answers but would appreciate others' advice too.

BD

If your employer is exempt from cap and your H1 was filed as exempt, then you will need to wait until Oct 1 start working for a petition filed on or after Apr 1. Other than that there is no restriction.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
      If your employer is exempt from cap and your H1 was filed as exempt, then you will need to wait until Oct 1 start working for a petition filed on or after Apr 1. Other than that there is no restriction.
      Thanks for your response. What if my new potential employer is also exempt from cap - say because it's a non-profit/education institution - then would I still need to wait till Oct 1st?
      Last edited by bd45; 03-31-2011, 05:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

h4 visa

Hi,

Could somebody help me what are the medical tests we need to take for h4 visa. Where I should take medical tests.

Thanks
        Luxmy

Comment

There is no such requirement for H4 visa.

Originally posted by luxmy View Post
          Hi,

Could somebody help me what are the medical tests we need to take for h4 visa. Where I should take medical tests.

Thanks
          Luxmy
          Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by bd45 View Post
            Thanks for your response. What if my new potential employer is also exempt from cap - say because it's a non-profit/education institution - then would I still need to wait till Oct 1st?
            No need to wait until Oct 1 in that case.
            This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X