H1 and H4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 and H4

My H1 is effective from Oct 2011. Can my wife get H4 in April 2012 and travel to US from India, or H4 also will be valid only from October, once approved and she need to wait until Oct 2012 to travel ?

I think you meant Oct 2011. H4 is associated with the H1B status. So until you are in H1B status, she cannot travel in H4 visa and maintain the H4 status.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

H4 visa date

Hello,

Can some one help me in reserving the H4 visa date. I'm on H1B visa.I'm getting married on May14th. I tried to make a H4 visa appointment for my wife today.While filling the application in the martial status what should i choose for her as single/married.

Please help you know its hard to find the Visa dates.

Thanks

Comment

H4 is a dependent visa that is issued only for the dependents of the principle applicants. H4 will not be issued to a person who is single and H4 cannot be schedule for a spouse to-be. The information that you fill in DS-160 is as of the date of the visa interview. So as long as you will be married on the date of interview, you can schedule the appointment as married.

And why have you posted your question at the top of someone else's question (Which is on a different topic) instead of creating a new post?

Originally posted by ram1984 View Post
        Hello,

Can some one help me in reserving the H4 visa date. I'm on H1B visa.I'm getting married on May14th. I tried to make a H4 visa appointment for my wife today.While filling the application in the martial status what should i choose for her as single/married.

Please help you know its hard to find the Visa dates.

Thanks
        Last edited by shervin143; 04-28-2011, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Let me explain again.
          1. I will get H1 in Oct 2011.
          2. Can my dependants get H4 in April 2012 and travel to US in May or they need to wait until Oct 2012 (like H1 which usually becomes effective from Oct) ?

Comment

Only new H1B will need to be filed in April and will be effective in Oct. That isn't the rule for H4. As long as your are in valid H1B status, H4 can get the visa stamped anytime and travel to U.S. So if your H1B is effective on Oct 1st 2011, then you spouse can get the H4 stamped and enter U.S on or after Oct 1st 2011.

Originally posted by cabinoy View Post
            Let me explain again.
            1. I will get H1 in Oct 2011.
            2. Can my dependants get H4 in April 2012 and travel to US in May or they need to wait until Oct 2012 (like H1 which usually becomes effective from Oct) ?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X