Travel before COS from F2 to H1-B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel before COS from F2 to H1-B

Hi, I am currently in the US with an F2 visa. I got a job and my employer applied for H-1B visa. I received the H-1B approval notice along with the I-94. I was told that my status would change automatically from F2 to H-1B on October 1st 2011. I have the following questions:

1. I am planning to travel to India during August-September. Is this ok? Can I ( or should I) get my H-1B stamping done in a US consulate in India? Specifically, would they issue the stamp prior to October 1st.

2. Also, are there any restrictions on the travel dates? I was told that I can return within 10 days of October 1st only. Is this accurate?

Thanks!

1. I am planning to travel to India during August-September. Is this ok? Can I ( or should I) get my H-1B stamping done in a US consulate in India? Specifically, would they issue the stamp prior to October 1st.
    >>> Yes, you can travel provided your are planning to return back in H1B visa (after getting it stamped in India). You can go for visa stamping anytime. However, you can only travel 10 days prior to the H1B effective date.

2. Also, are there any restrictions on the travel dates? I was told that I can return within 10 days of October 1st only. Is this accurate?
    >>> You can return only after September 21st on H1B visa since your H1B is effective only on Oct 1st.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X