Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 221g - I-797 work permit (petition) expiring

Hi Friends

I had come to India on a vacation in Feb and got 221g (pink) from Chennai consulate. My visa renewal status is still PENDING PROCESS.

Now my concern is that my I-797 is expiring in Aug. I have my I140 approved, so I am eligible for 3 year petition extension. But my HR is saying that I need to be in US for filing H1 extension. Is it true?

Suppose my visa renewal doesn't get approved by AUG and my I-797 expires, what option do I have?

The time spent outside U.S can be always recaptured. Extension beyond the 6th year can then be files based on the approved I-140.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Hi Shervin143

I know that time spent outside US can be recaptured and also that H1 extension can be filed based on I140. But my scenario is this -

- I am stuck in India pending visa renewal (221g)
      - H1b petition expires in Aug.

1. Is it possible for my employer to file for H1 extension if I am outside US?

2. If its not possible, then lets say 221g is finished only after Aug (lets say in Sept). Now my I-797 has expired. Can it be extended after it expires while I am still in India? Or should my employer file for fresh H1?

Comment

Irrespective of whether you are inside U.S or not, the H1B petition can be filed under the same CAP until all 6 years are utilized in that CAP. In your case since you are outside U.S, the petition need to be filed for consular processing. When approved, you will need a valid H1B visa to enter U.S. Even a different employer can file the petition by recapturing the time spend outside U.S.

Comment

Thanks, please answer couple of more related questions.

- Can this filing for H1 extension through consular processing be done before the current petition expires? Or can it be done even after the expiry of current I-797?

- How long does this H1 extension through consular processing take? Is there premium processing for this also?

- Is there any impact of petition expiry on "Additional administrative processing" ? Do we need to submit new I-797 before expiry of current one?

Comment

- Can this filing for H1 extension through consular processing be done before the current petition expires? Or can it be done even after the expiry of current I-797?
            >>> Extension can be filed 6 months prior to the current petition expiry date. Since you are outside U.S, it can be filed after the expiry date as well.

- How long does this H1 extension through consular processing take? Is there premium processing for this also?
            >>> 2-4 months by normal process and 15 days by premium.

- Is there any impact of petition expiry on "Additional administrative processing" ? Do we need to submit new I-797 before expiry of current one?
            >>> No.
            Last edited by shervin143; 06-05-2011, 04:07 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X