Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA


No announcement yet.

H1B - 2 years left with an unusual question

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • H1B - 2 years left with an unusual question

    Hi all, this may seem like an odd question, but I can't find an answer to it: I'm a grad student who is about to finish his PhD on H1B, and once I'm done I'll have 2 years stay left. I do not wish to become a resident (I want to move back to Europe) however I would love to continue my postdoctoral training in the United States for possibly more than 2 years. From what I've read the transfer to a dfferrent employer should not be a problem. However, it might likely take me more than 2 years to complete said training with a dfferent employer. Could I simply change to a J visa? Or would I still have to leave the US after 6 years as I'm not intending to apply for a greencard? Thanks a lot in advance!

  • #2
    You can change to J if you are eligible for it. Only the time spent in the US in H1 status will count against 6 year limit.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.