Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent - H1B visa Stamping Documents

Hi

I am going for H1B stamping in singapore. One of the mandatory document requirements specified on passport validity is “A passport valid for travel to the United States with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant’s intended period of stay in the United States”

I have a passport valid until 2012. In response to question on DS-156 on the period of stay in US, H1 employer asked me to mention the H1 validity period which is until Dec 2013.

Will this be an issue while H1B stamping with this passport? what do we specify on DS 156 period of stay then? This is my first time H1 stamping. Can someone please help in clarifying this for me?

Thanks
    Anamika

No issues in getting the visa stamped. However, some Visa officers may tend to issue you a visa only till the passport expiry date. If you have a passport that is valid for more than a year, then you don't have to worry about anything. If not, and if you don't want to take any risk, then renew the passport and they apply for the visa. Passport can be renewed 1 year in advance.

Calculate the petition expiry date and enter it as the period of stay in the DS-160.
    Last edited by shervin143; 06-27-2011, 12:23 PM.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Hi Mam,

Thanks for your kind response.

My passport validity is exactly until Oct 22 2012. In that case, i cannot even renew now...right? since you are saying renewal can be done 1 year in advance. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks
      Anamika

Comment

That is correct. If you are planning to schedule the interview now, then you don't have to worry about the passport expiry date since the VO would know that the Indian passports can be renewed only 12 months in advance and the visa (if approved) will be issued till the petition expiry date.

Originally posted by AnaSG View Post
        My passport validity is exactly until Oct 22 2012. In that case, i cannot even renew now...right? since you are saying renewal can be done 1 year in advance. Is my understanding correct?

Comment

Hi Mam,

Thanks for clarifying my doubts. Since this was specified under mandatory doc requirements by singapore visa service desk, i panicked.

Yes, am going to attend the visa interview in the next couple of weeks only. As suggested by you, in DS 156 period of stay in US i shall specify the H1 validy period Dec 2013 inspite of PP validity being Oct 2012.

Hope that is fine.

Thanks
          Anamika

Comment

Yes, that is fine.

Comment

Thank you, mam

Thanks
              Anamika

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X