Working on H1-B, going to Angola

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on H1-B, going to Angola

I have a situation where I might have to go to Angola for a year, Oct 2011 - Oct 2012. It is an intra-company (same company) transfer from US Office to Angolan Office. I have a valid H1-B stamped on my passport expiring on September 1st 2012. I know I have to file for an H1-B extension next year and after getting approval I'll have to get it stamped again if I enter the country after September 1st 2012. My question is are there any concerns of working outside the country which affect my current H1-B visa status. Will I save 1 year of H1-B if I stay outside US for one year? Please respond or direct me to one of your FAQs that has a response.

Are there any concerns of working outside the country which affect my current H1-B visa status.
    >>> No issues. You will not be in any status the minute you leave the country.

Will I save 1 year of H1-B if I stay outside US for one year?
    >>> Yes. Only the time spent in U.S in H1B (+ L1) status counts towards 6 year period. The time spent outside U.S can be recaptured.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

You will not be in any status the minute you leave the country.......Does that mean I'll lose my status? I am not sure whether my money will come to an Angolan bank account or a US bank account (taxes etc..I haven't gone that far yet)...

Thanks for all your help buddy...

Comment

Status only applies to someone who is pesent in U.S in an immigrant visa. So once you leave the country, there is no status. When you re-enter back, you will be in a valid status. Your money can be deposited in any bank.

Originally posted by rjb123 View Post
        You will not be in any status the minute you leave the country.......Does that mean I'll lose my status? I am not sure whether my money will come to an Angolan bank account or a US bank account (taxes etc..I haven't gone that far yet)...

Thanks for all your help buddy...
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X