Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel via London

Hi

I am traveling to India next month via London.

MY US (H1B visa) Is expired and I have valid I-797 till 2013

Do I need transit visa as i am travelling via London?

Thanks,
    Prakash

Yes you need a UK direct airside transit Visa since your US Visa has expired.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

thanks Kabkaba for quick response.

Comment

hi,

i was reading online alot about it and found that if we are travelling from US to India and have earlier visa stamped with valid approved petition. we don't need a transit visa for London.

Then i called Virgin Atlantic to confirm if i would need a Transit Visa and was told by Airline that i don't need a transit visa. I am little confused should we still go for UK Transit Visa?

Worst case what could be the problem that we would have. As we have confirmed ticket to go to India which is my home country.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Is your U.S visa currently valid in your passport? If yes, then you don't need a transit visa for U.K. If you don't have a valid U.S visa in the passport, then you need a transit visa to stopover in U.K. Search and read about the experiences posted by others in immihelp. There have been issues especially with U.K when people tried to transit without a valid U.S visa or a transit visa.

You can also send an email to the U.K consulate. If they say it is okay, then carry a printout of that reply while travelling.

Originally posted by prakash24256 View Post
          hi,

i was reading online alot about it and found that if we are travelling from US to India and have earlier visa stamped with valid approved petition. we don't need a transit visa for London.

Then i called Virgin Atlantic to confirm if i would need a Transit Visa and was told by Airline that i don't need a transit visa. I am little confused should we still go for UK Transit Visa?

Worst case what could be the problem that we would have. As we have confirmed ticket to go to India which is my home country.

Thanks again for your help.
          Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Even though I have read on UK Embassy website that DATV is required for transiting without US Visa. They have clearly mentioned approval notices and even advance paroles being unacceptable, I have had a different experience.

I transited from US to India through London Heathrow by Virgin Atlantic and Jet Airways. I had both valid US Visa as well as a UK Visitor Visa (I did not use it, just transited). At the check-in desk in US, they did not check either Visas. In London there was no immigration check at all, only a security check and hence nobody checked my Visas there either.
            I don't know if you want to take this risk. I would advise getting a UK DATV to be on the safer side.

Comment

Thanks a lot Shervin and Kabkaba.

Looks like i should prepare to get the UK transit visa to be on safer side. Can you tell me how long does it usually take to get the transit visa.

Thanks again.

Comment

You need to fill an application, give biometrics, send documents and then it will take about 10 days.

Comment

Thanks Kabkaba.

Also do i have to fill seperate application for my wife, since she will also be travelling with me along with our US citizen kid.

As application ask for the details of person travelling with you, does that covers both of us or do i need to fill a seperate application for her.

Thanks again.

Comment

Can somebody please respond if you have had similar situation and applied for UK Transit visa. I already completed my application, please let me know if i need to complete another application for my wife.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Each person who need a transit visa need to fill a separate application. Talk to the U.K consulate to get more details.
                      Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks Shervin.

I tried but couldn't find a correct number to reach UK consulate people. If anybody able to talk to them, could you share the correct number.

Thanks again for your continous help and support , this forum is awesome.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X