L1 to H4 to H1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1 to H4 to H1

I was working in US in L1 from 2006 to 2008 and then quit my job and changed status to H4. Now my consultant is applying for H1 this week. I have a few questions:
    How long does it take for approval in premium processing? - best and worst case
    Can I start to work after October 1st once I receive the approval?

How long does it take for approval in premium processing?
    >>> With 15 days.

Can I start to work after October 1st once I receive the approval?
    >>> You should start working as of the effective date mentioned in the H1B approval notice. If the effective date is November 1st, then that is when your status will change from H4 to H1B and that is when you can start working. If the employer requests an immediate start date, then the effective date will be as of the approval date.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. My employer will be appying for a new H1B this week in premium processing. Do you have any idea when would be my approval date?

Comment

If the employer requests an immediate start date, then the effective date will be same as the date of approval. The employer can also request an effective date to be in the future. They can request the effective date to a max of 6 months in the future.

Originally posted by PriyaaMohan View Post
        Thanks for the reply. My employer will be appying for a new H1B this week in premium processing. Do you have any idea when would be my approval date?

Comment

Thanks Shervin!!!

Comment

I was on L1 earlier and currently on H4. Is there a way I could work once I receive the Receipt number?

Comment

No. Your status need to change to H1B to work. Until the petition is approved, you will be in H4 status.

Originally posted by PriyaaMohan View Post
              I was on L1 earlier and currently on H4. Is there a way I could work once I receive the Receipt number?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X