Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport expiry and H1B Visa stamping in Kolkata, India

Hello,
    My name is Judhajit and my Indian Passport is expiring on the 23rd of July, 2012. My current visa status is H1B which expires on May 2014.

My question is, I am visiting India on January end and returning on February end 2012. And I will try my best to get my H1B stamping/interview date by the end of January (30 or 31st Jan 2012). Now, since my Passport is expiring on July 23rd, which is a little shy of 6 months fom the interview, is it something safe both for the H1B stamping and returning to the US in Feb? Please help.

Thanks a lot in advance for your time.
    Judhajit Chakraborty

There are chnaces that you might get a visa only till the passport expiry date. Even if the visa is issued until the petition expiry date, the I-94 at the POE can be issued only till your passport expiry date. It is advisable to renew the passport in U.S before you go for vacation. It hardly takes about 3-4 weeks to get the passport renewed.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Shervin,

I reckon I have to renew my passport and I am already on it. Sorry for bothering but I have another question.

I changed my employer in may 2011 but I have an approved H1B stamp on my passport (from the previous employer) which expires in October 2012. My current I-797 approval is till May 2014. So, provided that I renew my passport and visit India, do I still need to appear for stamping/interview process or I can avoid this? Any idea or suggestions? My company's immigration attorney said that I can return to the U.S. using the prior visa stamp and the original approval notice issued to my company. Wanted to have a second opinion on that.

Thanks so much for your time and suggestions. Really appreciate it.

Judhajit.
      Last edited by Judhajit; 12-12-2011, 06:27 PM.

Comment

The information from your company's immigration attorney is correct. You can use the existing visa with the new approval notice to re-enter U.S. However, you may get an I-94 only till the passport expiry date. So get the passport renewed and carry both the passports (since the visa will be in the old passport) when you re-enter.

Originally posted by Judhajit View Post
        Thanks Shervin,

I reckon I have to renew my passport and I am already on it. Sorry for bothering but I have another question.

I changed my employer in may 2011 but I have an approved H1B stamp on my passport (from the previous employer) which expires in October 2012. My current I-797 approval is till May 2014. So, provided that I renew my passport and visit India, do I still need to appear for stamping/interview process or I can avoid this? Any idea or suggestions? My company's immigration attorney said that I can return to the U.S. using the prior visa stamp and the original approval notice issued to my company. Wanted to have a second opinion on that.

Thanks so much for your time and suggestions. Really appreciate it.

Judhajit.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks

Thank you so much Shervin .

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X