Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B petition Expired

Hi,

I have got H1b Petition from my previous employer, which was valid from Oct 1st 2005 till 25th March 2008. Now it is expired. My new employer wants to file a new H1B for me with immidiate start date.
    1. Can this old petiion be used now to file for a new petiion (using old H1B Cap/quota)
    2. Or I'll have to wait for April1st to file for a new petition (using this year's H1B Cap)?

Please let me know asap. Really appreciate your help/support in this regard.

Regards,
    Navs

How much time have to spend in the old CAP (H1B + L1 combined) in U.S? If you haven't spend all 6 years, then any new employer can file a new H1B petition using the CAP from the old petition and request an immediate start date (Give the new employer a copy of your old petition). You will only get the remaining time that is not utilized in that CAP. If you have already spend 4 years, then you will get only 2 years in that CAP and after that you need to spend 1 year outside U.S to get afresh 6 year period in H1B (Unless GC PERM is filed 365 days prior to the 6th year end).
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Hi Shervin, I am in a same situation and I don't have Notice of Approval with me. I only have Receipt Notice (I-797C). Is this sufficient for this purpose?
      This petition was filed in year 2006 and was approved (my employer was sending me for stamping in India but I never got stamped).
      However on USCIS website status is showing up as Initial Review. What does that mean?

Comment

Answered in your original post.

Originally posted by rkalsulkar View Post
        Hi Shervin, I am in a same situation and I don't have Notice of Approval with me. I only have Receipt Notice (I-797C). Is this sufficient for this purpose?
        This petition was filed in year 2006 and was approved (my employer was sending me for stamping in India but I never got stamped).
        However on USCIS website status is showing up as Initial Review. What does that mean?

Comment

Hi Shervin,

Thanks for your reply. I never travelled on that petition/visa, so i believe i'll get full 6years validity.

My only doubt/question is:
          Since, my petition was filed & approved in 2005, so it is more than 6 years, when it was filed. And i've heard that H1 Cap is valid for 6 years & Since its 2012 now, So, haven't we crossed that 6 years validity period?

So just wanted to reconfirm again if I am still eligible to reapply for H1B again based on my previous H1 Cap/quota?

Thanks,
          Naveen Raheja

Comment

If it is more than 6 years and if you haven't used that H1B CAP, then you need to go for a new H1B on a fresh new CAP that will open in April 1st 2012.

Comment

Hi Shervin,

I have 2 questions. Please see if you can provide answers to these.

1. My old H1 petition was file on May 18 2006 which got approved. Considering this is Jan 2012, I assume that I can still use old Cap. Is that correct?
              2. I do not have 'Notice Of Approval' for this old H1 with me, what I have is 'Receipt Notice'. Is it mandatory to have 'Notice Of Approval' while filing new H1 petition or is it sufficient to have 'Receipt Notice'?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

1. My old H1 petition was file on May 18 2006 which got approved. Considering this is Jan 2012, I assume that I can still use old Cap. Is that correct?
                >>> Yes.

2. I do not have 'Notice Of Approval' for this old H1 with me, what I have is 'Receipt Notice'. Is it mandatory to have 'Notice Of Approval' while filing new H1 petition or is it sufficient to have 'Receipt Notice'?
                >>> Receipt number will work if you know for sure that receipt number provided to you by your employer actually belongs to you.

Comment

Thank you Shervin, your help is very much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
                    If it is more than 6 years and if you haven't used that H1B CAP, then you need to go for a new H1B on a fresh new CAP that will open in April 1st 2012.
                    Hello Shervin,

I need some clarification on this. In this line quoted above, you've said that one cannot be cap exempt if they have not "used" previous H1CAP and is more than 6 years. Now is this because of having "not used" or because of 6 years passing?

I am asking this, in relation to my situation below. Please guide.

I first got my H1b petition approved in Jun 2004. I made 2 visits to US

4/Dec/2005 to 30/Jan/2006
                    24/Sep/2006 to 2/Dec/2006

No further travel. Visa expired in Feb 2007. I changed employer.

I got married in Jan 2012 and my wife is L1 holder. I applied for L2 and I got it last week.

My question is, if I apply for a fresh H1b, am I cap exempt or not?

Comment

Well, I guess I didn't put that correctly in my previous reply. Not using the approved petition it is not an issue. If the petition effective date is not within the last 6 years, then you cannot use that petition to get exempt from CAP. One H1B CAP is valid only for 6

Originally posted by silverprince View Post
                      Hello Shervin,

I need some clarification on this. In this line quoted above, you've said that one cannot be cap exempt if they have not "used" previous H1CAP and is more than 6 years. Now is this because of having "not used" or because of 6 years passing?

I am asking this, in relation to my situation below. Please guide.

I first got my H1b petition approved in Jun 2004. I made 2 visits to US

4/Dec/2005 to 30/Jan/2006
                      24/Sep/2006 to 2/Dec/2006

No further travel. Visa expired in Feb 2007. I changed employer.

I got married in Jan 2012 and my wife is L1 holder. I applied for L2 and I got it last week.

My question is, if I apply for a fresh H1b, am I cap exempt or not?

Comment

Cap-Exempt

Hi,

My H1B petition was filed on April 2008 cap.

I have never gone for stamping until today; hope this is cap exempt?

If cap- exempt? need to file H1B again now to get stamping?

if so, Do i have to pay again for H1B filing though it is cap-exempt?

Kindly clarify me.

Thanks,
                        Sriram

Comment

I have never gone for stamping until today; hope this is cap exempt?
                          >>> Stamping and CAP{ exempt are two different things. Do some basis reading on the forum about what a CAP exempt petition is.

If cap- exempt? need to file H1B again now to get stamping?
                          >>> You need a valid petition to go for the stamping. Do yuo have a valid H1B petition and are you going to work for the same employer in U.S. If not, you have to ask your U.S employer to file a new petition using the CAP from your previous H1B petition.

if so, Do i have to pay again for H1B filing though it is cap-exempt?
                          >>> Yes, H1B petition fee need to be paid and it should be paid by the employer. It is illegal if you pay your own H1B filing fee.

Comment

Cap-exemption

shervin,

another doubt

1) An employer can file anytime even after this cap is over for 2013 this year if petition is cap-exempt or to be filed before the current year cap is closed.

2) Is it mandatory I should go for stamping to my home country or can i get stamping from the country where I am working now (on workpermit in UK).

Thanks,
                            Sriram

Comment

1) An employer can file anytime even after this cap is over for 2013 this year if petition is cap-exempt or to be filed before the current year cap is closed.
                              --Your employer can file anytime irrespective of the 2013 cap.

2) Is it mandatory I should go for stamping to my home country or can i get stamping from the country where I am working now (on workpermit in UK).
                              --As per my understanding you should be able to take a visa interview in UK.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X