Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help-H4 visa stamping

Hey guys,
    I am new to this forum and found this site very helpful.I am leaving for India next week and I have to get my H4 visa stamping from India.I have the interview on feb 22nd and I have few questions.My husband is in H1B and I am on H4 status since may 2011 and we both don't have visa stamping yet in our passports,We have valid I-797 till april 2014. We were in J1 and J2 visas previously. Now i am going to India so i will get stamping on my passport.

1.We both have valid form I-797a (H1B and H4). I have seen in the guidance sheet that we need to carry the original notice of action I-797. Is it the name of the form or Do I need to show my husband's original I-797 form. I thought i will carry the photocopy of my husband's I-797 and original of mine. (from my husband's university they gave me a travel package with all his H1B petition and paperwork but all are photocopies)

2. What is blanket petition? I have seen something regarding that in guidance sheet.
    Is it applicable only for L visas.
    3. Do i need to carry my original degree certificates? If anyone went recently for H4 stamping Kindly help.
    Awaiting your reply.Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by swathi77 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I am new to this forum and found this site very helpful.I am leaving for India next week and I have to get my H4 visa stamping from India.I have the interview on feb 22nd and I have few questions.My husband is in H1B and I am on H4 status since may 2011 and we both don't have visa stamping yet in our passports,We have valid I-797 till april 2014. We were in J1 and J2 visas previously. Now i am going to India so i will get stamping on my passport.

1.We both have valid form I-797a (H1B and H4). I have seen in the guidance sheet that we need to carry the original notice of action I-797. Is it the name of the form or Do I need to show my husband's original I-797 form. I thought i will carry the photocopy of my husband's I-797 and original of mine. (from my husband's university they gave me a travel package with all his H1B petition and paperwork but all are photocopies)

You need your spouse's H1 approval notice. Your H4 change of status approval is meaningless after you leave the US. Attach the I-94 at the bottom of H4 approval to your J2 I-94 and return both to the airline when you leave the US. Keep copies for your records and keep the H4 approval in your files. Use the H1 approval notice (original is said to be required) for your H4 Visa application.

2. What is blanket petition? I have seen something regarding that in guidance sheet.
    Is it applicable only for L visas. Yes, not applicable to you.
    3. Do i need to carry my original degree certificates?
    No need, but no harm either.
    If anyone went recently for H4 stamping Kindly help.
    Awaiting your reply.Thanks in advance.
    See above.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Regarding H4 visa stamping

Hi kabkaba,
      Thanks for the info.I will give both of my I-94 when i leave US.
      1. I was confused regarding I-797, because one of my friend in US went to india for H4 visa stamping in december 2011 she gave only the photocopy of her husband's I-797. But she got the visa.But in guidance sheet it is written you have to carry the original I-797. Because my husband is in US he needs a evidence for his stay and I-797 is the only evidence he will have, also i was scared to carry his original I-797 just in case if i miss it.That's why i asked this question.kindly comment on this.
      2. I am planning to take the photocopies of main degree certificates.Not marksheets etc.
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by swathi77 View Post
        Hi kabkaba,
        Thanks for the info.I will give both of my I-94 when i leave US.
        1. I was confused regarding I-797, because one of my friend in US went to india for H4 visa stamping in december 2011 she gave only the photocopy of her husband's I-797. But she got the visa.But in guidance sheet it is written you have to carry the original I-797. Because my husband is in US he needs a evidence for his stay and I-797 is the only evidence he will have, also i was scared to carry his original I-797 just in case if i miss it.That's why i asked this question.kindly comment on this.
        I know that confusion and there is no straight answer for that. You can try with photocopy and let us know here if that works.
        2. I am planning to take the photocopies of main degree certificates.Not marksheets etc.
        It is completely immaterial. They are not going to ask you for that.
        Thanks
        See above.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X