H1B visa stamped with early expiration date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B visa stamped with early expiration date

I have I-797 valid form Sep 2012 to Sep 2014.

I recently visited US embassy to stamp visa on my passport.

The visa stamped has expiration date of Feb 2014

I am puzzled why they printed early expiration date?

does anyone know any information regarding this?

Visa expiry does not have to be the same as petition expiry date, however it is highly likely that it is a mistake. Contact VFS or Embassy/Consulate to see if it can be corrected. Another possible reason is that your passport is expiring earlier.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Yeah, I will contact the embassy.

My passport is valid until 2022! SO don't know why they printed early visa expiry date.

Comment

It could be a mistake. Contact VFS helpdesk to get it clarified.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

I have contacted VFS. They mentioned that embassy will respond on this query. However, they don't know how long the correction process will take. I am here in India on a business trip and need to go back ASAP to work on some important projects.

What if I travel to USA right now? Will there be a problem in 2014?

The I-94 that I will get now will be valid only until Feb 2014. Will I be able to continue to stay in USA after Feb 2014?

The I-94 on my current I-797 is already used.

Will I have to compulsary leave USA (in Feb 2014) and visit US consulate for stamping just to get the visa for next 8 months?

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
          It could be a mistake. Contact VFS helpdesk to get it clarified.

Comment

I-94 should be according to petition expiry date. You should make sure you show the inspection officer the petition approval notice and get the I-94 according to that. Visa expiry is only the last day you can travel to US, it has absolutely nothing to do with your permitted stay or work authorization.
            Also, in general, there is no need to leave the US just to extend your stay. Extension of stay can be done within the US. Of course if you have completed your 6 years in H1 stay at that time extension can only be done if you have labor pending for 1 year or I-140 approved.
            Last edited by kabkaba; 02-09-2012, 09:17 AM.
            This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the information.

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
              I-94 should be according to petition expiry date. You should make sure you show the inspection officer the petition approval notice and get the I-94 according to that. Visa expiry is only the last day you can travel to US, it has absolutely nothing to do with your permitted stay or work authorization.
              Also, in general, there is no need to leave the US just to extend your stay. Extension of stay can be done within the US. Of course if you have completed your 6 years in H1 stay at that time extension can only be done if you have labor pending for 1 year or I-140 approved.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X