Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B stamping for the first time

hi,
    I came to USA on F1 visa.and graduated in dec 2008,i got 29 months of OPT,which got finished on sep 2011. but i did not get job until april 2010.
    from jan 2009 to march 2010 i was with employer A where i sat on bench.i changed my employer in april 2010 and got job with employer B.In mar 2011 my client hired me as full time and filed my H1B thru premium processing ,which got approved,and started from oct 2011 and is valid uptil march 2014.

opt started jan 2009 - sep 2011
    no job --jan 2009- march 2010
    doing job- april 2010 -- right now

now i need to goto india and get my H1B stamping,
    but my only worry is if visa officer ask me what i did during those first 15 months of my OPT,
    what should i say???can that period of 15 months without job during OPT hamper my case for H1B stamping???

thanks
    harry

When on OPT, one needs to get a job in first 90-days and get paid as well for the same. If the employer A has paid you for that time and you have the proofs for the same then no issues.

I had my visa done yesterday. In past I was in US on F-1, completed MS, applied for OPT but didn't work and came back in 2 months itself after degree completion. Still VO asks me if you didn't have a offer in hand why you applied for OPT and then came back.

So be ready to answer the question.

Comment

thanks man_prime
      no,employee A did not pay me anything for 15 month,but he did provide me training for different -different technologies,,,at that time recession was at his prime,
      so can i say,i was doing unpaid internship...

thanks and regards
      Harry

Originally posted by man_prime View Post
      When on OPT, one needs to get a job in first 90-days and get paid as well for the same. If the employer A has paid you for that time and you have the proofs for the same then no issues.

I had my visa done yesterday. In past I was in US on F-1, completed MS, applied for OPT but didn't work and came back in 2 months itself after degree completion. Still VO asks me if you didn't have a offer in hand why you applied for OPT and then came back.

So be ready to answer the question.

Comment

got visa stamped.

I got visa .Visa officer didnot ask any question about OPT period.VO just inquired about the current employer,that was it
        Last edited by harrycali; 06-03-2012, 04:44 AM. Reason: incomplete

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X