H4 DS 160 and Visa Appointment Home Address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 DS 160 and Visa Appointment Home Address

I am getting married soon and am applying for an H4 visa for my wife immediately after (within 4 days) after marriage. My wife currently resides in MP and would be moving to Hyderabad after marriage. I would like to schedule a visa appointment at the Hyderabad consulate. However, I am not sure what should I specify her home address in the DS-160 and in the visa appointment forms. Should it be my (her husband's) address in Hyderabad or should it be her home address in MP where she was residing before marriage? I have submitted the DS -160 with my Hyderabad address and will be getting a date later this week. An early response will be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

The address should be the one where she will be residing after the visa interview. The consulate if required should be able to contact her at this address. It is the same address where you want the passport to be delivered after the visa interview.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks Shervin. That is my understanding too. However, what got me off track was that when taking the visa appointment it asks for the home address and attaches the following note

"You must ensure that you have documentary evidence to prove the ‘State of Residence’ that you have selected to schedule the appointment"

Now, she would've just moved to the new address and wouldn't have any address proof. The only proof that can be presented is my (her husband's) passport that has the after marriage address. Would that suffice?

Also, while filling the DS-160, I remember reading that the Home address should be the one where she has been staying for the last 6 months or more. That's another thing that got me off track. She would be going to the interview just 4 days after the wedding.

Comment

The concept of selecting a U.S consulate that falls under consular district of the peson where the candidate has lived for the past 6 months is pretty old. It doesn't exist any more. Nowadays, a candidate is allowed to attend the visa interview at any U.S consulate in India. If you are giving an address in DS160, then make sure that address is where the candidate can be contacted if required. There is no point in giving an address where you nolonger live. What you have entered now DS160 is good enough to take the interview.Talk to VFS helpdesk if yo are in doubt.

Originally posted by nsj007 View Post
        Thanks Shervin. That is my understanding too. However, what got me off track was that when taking the visa appointment it asks for the home address and attaches the following note

"You must ensure that you have documentary evidence to prove the ‘State of Residence’ that you have selected to schedule the appointment"

Now, she would've just moved to the new address and wouldn't have any address proof. The only proof that can be presented is my (her husband's) passport that has the after marriage address. Would that suffice?

Also, while filling the DS-160, I remember reading that the Home address should be the one where she has been staying for the last 6 months or more. That's another thing that got me off track. She would be going to the interview just 4 days after the wedding.

Comment

Thanks again Shervin. That explains it.

Also, I did get in touch with VFS - both by phone and mail - but they could not give me an affirmed response. This is the reply to my email query

"Thank you for writing to us,
          We may request you to fill the online application forms as per your best knowledge. Further, you can intimate the case to the consular officer on the day of the visa interview"

I guess I'll just stick to the submitted application. Thank You!

Comment

Well, like i said before, this is not going to be an issue. Don't waste your time worry about this.

Originally posted by nsj007 View Post
            Thanks again Shervin. That explains it.

Also, I did get in touch with VFS - both by phone and mail - but they could not give me an affirmed response. This is the reply to my email query

"Thank you for writing to us,
            We may request you to fill the online application forms as per your best knowledge. Further, you can intimate the case to the consular officer on the day of the visa interview"

I guess I'll just stick to the submitted application. Thank You!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X