H1B to Green card visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B to Green card visa

I am currently on H1B visa and filled for Green card in EB3 category, priority date December 2010. I got admission in a business school for pursuing Full-time MBA which will be starting this August. If I change my visa status to F1, my green card processing will be closed. The company which I am working for currently is not willing to sponsor for my studies. I got an offer from another company which is willing to sponsor my education. Could you please guide me on the following?

1. Can I pursue Full-time MBA on H1B visa? or should I change my visa status to F1?

2. If quit my current job and join the other company which will sponsor for my studies, is it possible to file for Green card in EB2 category maintaining my priority date?

3. Please help me how should I proceed to get my Green card in this situation.
    Last edited by usemefortesting1; 03-21-2012, 06:19 PM.

1. Can I pursue Full-time MBA on H1B visa? or should I change my visa status to F1?
    >>> You need to change your status to F1 if you want to study full time. Part time study is okay as long as your are working and getting paid to maintain your H1B status.

2. If quit my current job and join the other company which will sponsor for my studies, is it possible to file for Green card in EB2 category maintaining my priority date?
    >>> You need a copy of the I-140 approval notice to port the priority date.

3. Please help me how should I proceed to get my Green card in this situation.
    >>> GC is for future employment. You can either find an employer who is willing to sponsor your GC when you study or you can be in H1B, work for the employer and study part time.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thank you very much for the information. It was very helpful.

My priority date is December 2010 in EB3 category and I have my I-140 approval to port the priority. So if I move from EB3 to EB2 category and the date is current in EB2 category, how long will it take to get my green card?

Comment

It depends on the processing time at that that point of time when you file I-485. USCIS.gov has the latest processing time which will give you a basis understanding on how long it takes for the 485 application to get a decision.

Originally posted by usemefortesting1 View Post
        Thank you very much for the information. It was very helpful.

My priority date is December 2010 in EB3 category and I have my I-140 approval to port the priority. So if I move from EB3 to EB2 category and the date is current in EB2 category, how long will it take to get my green card?
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks much for your prompt response Shervin. I appreciate it.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X