Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help I-94 Renewal

Hi Friends,

When i entered USA my passport expiry date is May-2012 and my H1B visa expiry date is Feb-2014.

So officer verifed the above dates and given me the i-94 with expiry date as May-2012 as per my passport expiry date.

Now i got my renewed passport and i need get a new I-94.

So i am planning to go Mexico for getting a new I-94 according to my visa expiry date.

I have the below question .can you please answer.

What is the best time to travel to Mexico, Is it required to travle just before 1 day of i-94 expiry date? or i can travel immediately?

Where should i submit my old I-94 while going to Mexico or when coming back to US? Who exactly collects this Airlines or CBP and which point exactly?

What are all the question i face when going to Mexico/returning to USA?

I heard that trip should be 30 days to submit the I-94 , what if i stay only for 2 days in Mexico. Will they not give new I-94?

Please help me
    Last edited by niceguy534; 03-28-2012, 03:15 PM.

What is the best time to travel to Mexico, Is it required to travle just before 1 day of i-94 expiry date? or i can travel immediately?
    >>> You can go anytime before the I-94 expiry date.

Where should i submit my old I-94 while going to Mexico or when coming back to US? Who exactly collects this Airlines or CBP and which point exactly?
    >>> You should return it before you leave and receive a new one upon your arrival. If your stay in Mexico is less than a month, then they will not take the I-94 when you leave. They will ask you to use the same I-94 upon your return. Unless you return the exiting I-94 and receive a new one upon your return, the whole trip will worth nothing.

>>> Pretty much the same when you entered u.S before.

I heard that trip should be 30 days to submit the I-94 , what if i stay only for 2 days in Mexico. Will they not give new I-94?
    >>> They will not. You can try and convince them to take the I-94 and explain the reason for your trip. You can also try to get the I-94 extended at the local CBP post. If that doesn't work, then plan for the trip. You can also file the extension to get an extened I-94.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by niceguy534 View Post
      Hi Friends,

When i entered USA my passport expiry date is May-2012 and my H1B visa expiry date is Feb-2014.

So officer verifed the above dates and given me the i-94 with expiry date as May-2012 as per my passport expiry date.

Now i got my renewed passport and i need get a new I-94.

So i am planning to go Mexico for getting a new I-94 according to my visa expiry date.

I have the below question .can you please answer.

Anytime before I-94 expiry.

You should submit it to US official at the border when you leave the US if traveling by road. If traveling by air, you should give it to the airline at check-in when your board your flight out of the US.

Same as any POE.

That is not needed. If it is less than 30 days you have an option of not submitting your I-94 and return without a Visa. But that is an option.

Please help me
      See above.
      This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks Kabkaba and Shervin143.

I checked with CBP they are not ready to renew.

I am going to Mexico only for 2 days as one of my friend did the same. I am going by flight. So how can i give the i-94 forcefully while leaving from US. Can i tell them i am going for 35 days so that they will collect my old i-94? What is the best idea to get rid of old i-94 with my 2 days visti.

Comment

That is not needed. If it is less than 30 days you have an option of not submitting your I-94 and return without a Visa. But that is an option.

>>kabkaba so you are saying that we can keep if we want & we can submit if we want..this is only our decision right?

Comment

Give it to the airline for the last flight that you take to leave the US.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
              Give it to the airline for the last flight that you take to leave the US.
              Great, Can you please answer the below last question:

Me: I heard that trip should be 30 days to submit the I-94 , what if i stay only for 2 days in Mexico. Will they not give new I-94?

You: That is not needed. If it is less than 30 days you have an option of not submitting your I-94 and return without a Visa. But that is an option.

Me: so you are saying that we can keep if we want & we can submit if we want..this is only our decision right? Shrwin says 30days should required.Pls clarify

Comment

By default they are not going to take your I-94 if your return trip back to U.S is less than 30 days. You need to convince them to take it so that you get a new I-94 upon yor return. I didn't say that they will never take the I-94 if your trip is less than 30 days. You might need to explain to them why it is important to you to return the I-94 and get a new one. If you are travelling by flight, then this should not be a big issue.

Originally posted by niceguy534 View Post
                Great, Can you please answer the below last question:

Me: I heard that trip should be 30 days to submit the I-94 , what if i stay only for 2 days in Mexico. Will they not give new I-94?

You: That is not needed. If it is less than 30 days you have an option of not submitting your I-94 and return without a Visa. But that is an option.

Me: so you are saying that we can keep if we want & we can submit if we want..this is only our decision right? Shrwin says 30days should required.Pls clarify
                Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
                  By default they are not going to take your I-94 if your return trip back to U.S is less than 30 days. You need to convince them to take it so that you get a new I-94 upon yor return. I didn't say that they will never take the I-94 if your trip is less than 30 days. You might need to explain to them why it is important to you to return the I-94 and get a new one. If you are travelling by flight, then this should not be a big issue.
                  great thanks for your reply

Comment

In my friend's experience, the airline had no problems taking the I-94. They did not take it by default, but when he asked them to take it, they did. In fact airlines routinely don't collect I-94's. I guess not all desk staff is trained/experienced. My parents' I-94's were not collected when they left for India.
                    If they don't take it, I would say detach it yourself and send it to CBP later as uncollected I-94 along with copies of boarding pass. Once you don't have an I-94 at entry, CBP will definitely issue you new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
                      In my friend's experience, the airline had no problems taking the I-94. They did not take it by default, but when he asked them to take it, they did. In fact airlines routinely don't collect I-94's. I guess not all desk staff is trained/experienced. My parents' I-94's were not collected when they left for India.
                      If they don't take it, I would say detach it yourself and send it to CBP later as uncollected I-94 along with copies of boarding pass. Once you don't have an I-94 at entry, CBP will definitely issue you new ones.
                      cool. thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X