F1 to H4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 to H4

Hi, can you please answer the queries below?
    I am a Indian citizen, working in Florida for 2 years and currently on H1B visa. My wife is here doing her MS with F1 visa.
    1. She is not getting any financial assistance, therefore paying full tuition. If she cannot pay tuition after a semester, can she take a break from study while maintaining F1 status?
    2. If not, can she convert from F1 to H4? Does she have to leave US for H4 conversion?
    3. If she is converted to H4, is it possible to convert back to F1 and continue her study from where she left off as F1? Or she has to start afresh?
    4. If she continues her study as H4, can she pay in state tuition based on my Florida stay length (which is 3 years), or she has to stay at least a year herself?

Replies would be greatly appreciated.

-Farhad

1. She is not getting any financial assistance, therefore paying full tuition. If she cannot pay tuition after a semester, can she take a break from study while maintaining F1 status?
    >>> If she is in F1, she should be studying to maintain the F1 status. Otherwise she will go out of status. The best option is to file a COS to H4.

2. If not, can she convert from F1 to H4?
    >>> Yes.

Does she have to leave US for H4 conversion?
    >>> No. A COS from F1 to H4 can be filed. It has to be done before she goes out of status on F1.

3. If she is converted to H4, is it possible to convert back to F1 and continue her study from where she left off as F1? Or she has to start afresh?
    >>> That is something she need to check with the school where she is studying. A COS from H4 to F1 is possible.

4. If she continues her study as H4, can she pay in state tuition based on my Florida stay length (which is 3 years), or she has to stay at least a year herself?
    >>> Not sure what you are trying to ask. What has her tuition fee has to do with your stay?
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks a lot.

In question 4 I was asking if she is eligible for in-state tuition based on her length of stay length or my length of stay in Florida, because she in H4 will be my dependent (H1B).

Comment

I guess this is something you need to check with the school where she has enrolled.

Originally posted by james2441139 View Post
        Thanks a lot.

In question 4 I was asking if she is eligible for in-state tuition based on her length of stay length or my length of stay in Florida, because she in H4 will be my dependent (H1B).
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X