H4 visa for wife who is on L1 currently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 visa for wife who is on L1 currently

I am currently on H1B visa which is valid till sep'2012. My wife is on L1 visa but wants to quit her job as we had a child and we need to have her H4 dependent visa done. What is the process? Can she get this done while she is in US itself or does she have to travel back to our home country and get the dependent visa done ? Since my visa is ending in september, is there a timeline before which i need to initiate the process ?

You need to file form I-539 to convert her status from L1 to H4. Search and read the instruction to file form I-539. No need to go out of the country to get the H4 status. H4 will be granted only till the H1B petition validity date. You can file it anytime before your H1B petition expires. You need to file it before she goes out of status on L1.

Originally posted by jiggs View Post
    I am currently on H1B visa which is valid till sep'2012. My wife is on L1 visa but wants to quit her job as we had a child and we need to have her H4 dependent visa done. What is the process? Can she get this done while she is in US itself or does she have to travel back to our home country and get the dependent visa done ? Since my visa is ending in september, is there a timeline before which i need to initiate the process ?
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X