Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work for Free

Hello everyone,

I am currently working as a Computer System Administrator on a H1B visa.

I have been taking acting classes 1 night a week. The classes didn't interfere with work.
    The school has asked if I would like to help them with their website. I said I would but I'm not allowed to get paid, since I'm only authorized to work for my current employer. So instead of paying me money, they offered me free classes instead.

Is this legal? Would the free class be considered compensation? It would kind of be like a scholar ship or work study.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by blub View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am currently working as a Computer System Administrator on a H1B visa.

I have been taking acting classes 1 night a week. The classes didn't interfere with work.
    The school has asked if I would like to help them with their website. I said I would but I'm not allowed to get paid, since I'm only authorized to work for my current employer. So instead of paying me money, they offered me free classes instead.

Is this legal? Would the free class be considered compensation? It would kind of be like a scholar ship or work study.

Any thoughts?
    You can't work for free and do job what normally need be paid. It is illegal, you taking someones job.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X