Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting H1b visa stamped on a new passport , Visa Petition was on the old passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting H1b visa stamped on a new passport , Visa Petition was on the old passport

Hi

I need advise on this please. I am planning to go for H1b visa stamping soon in India and I plan to get the visa stamped on a new passport with 'First Name' and 'Surname' on it. My old passport has 'Surname' field as blank and my complete name is given under the 'Given Name' in my old passport. The reason for my getting new passport i's that I don't want 'FNU' in my visa as it creates problems in getting DL and SSN in US. I have heard that if the passport doesnt have a 'Surname'the US consulate will issue a visa as with 'FNU' written against the first name.

My concern is that my H1b petiton was done with old passport and if I go for visa stamping with new passport , will it create any problems? Will the interviewers have any doubts? I just want to be 200% sure because if I get new passport, they will cancel my old passport and the new passport will have a different passport number. Just want to ensure that this will not cause any discrepancies.

And, if I should go with new passport, while filling the form DS-160, should I mentioned the new passport number or the old passport number?

Also, my old passport has B1 visa stamped on it. If I get a new passport, what will happen to my B1 visa?

A prompt help on tis will be highly appreciated.

Thank You.
    Venky

Originally posted by PY_ View Post
    Hi

I need advise on this please. I am planning to go for H1b visa stamping soon in India and I plan to get the visa stamped on a new passport with 'First Name' and 'Surname' on it. My old passport has 'Surname' field as blank and my complete name is given under the 'Given Name' in my old passport. The reason for my getting new passport i's that I don't want 'FNU' in my visa as it creates problems in getting DL and SSN in US. I have heard that if the passport doesnt have a 'Surname'the US consulate will issue a visa as with 'FNU' written against the first name.

My concern is that my H1b petiton was done with old passport and if I go for visa stamping with new passport , will it create any problems? Will the interviewers have any doubts? I just want to be 200% sure because if I get new passport, they will cancel my old passport and the new passport will have a different passport number. Just want to ensure that this will not cause any discrepancies.

And, if I should go with new passport, while filling the form DS-160, should I mentioned the new passport number or the old passport number?

Also, my old passport has B1 visa stamped on it. If I get a new passport, what will happen to my B1 visa?

Thank You.
    Venky
    Nothing to worry. As you now have a First Name and Last Name in your passport, your new Visa would have as per the new passport. Your old B1 would also remain valid. DS-160 should be filled as of Date of visa interview, since you would be having a new passport as of date of interview, you should give the new passport number. Though the passport office cancels an old passport while issuing a new passport, they return the old passport along with new one and the visas in the old passport remain active till visa expiry dates only thing is that you would have to carry your old and new passports every time you travel. This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      Nothing to worry. As you now have a First Name and Last Name in your passport, your new Visa would have as per the new passport. Your old B1 would also remain valid. DS-160 should be filled as of Date of visa interview, since you would be having a new passport as of date of interview, you should give the new passport number. Though the passport office cancels an old passport while issuing a new passport, they return the old passport along with new one and the visas in the old passport remain active till visa expiry dates only thing is that you would have to carry your old and new passports every time you travel. This is my opinion not legal advice.
      Thanks a lot for your help. Much appreciated. Another option I was thinking about to have one 'Observation Made' in the passport with first name and last name split. Will that suffice to sort the 'FNU' problem out in the visa? While making an observation, the passport office will generally make a hand written entry in the passport that 'the passport holder's name should be read as First Name : YYYY XX and Last Name : YYYYYY' . In this way I will not have to change the passport and FNU problem will be sorted too.

Does US Consulate accept the 'Observations' in the passport?

Kindly advise.

Regards
      Venky

Comment

Making 'OBSERVATION' in the passport to get rid of FNU problem - PLEASE ADVISE

Thanks a lot Raghvi for your help. Much appreciated. Another option I was thinking about to have one 'Observation Made' in the passport with first name and last name split. Will that suffice to sort the 'FNU' problem out in the visa? While making an observation, the passport office will generally make a hand written entry in the passport that 'the passport holder's name should be read as First Name : YYYY XX and Last Name : YYYYYY' . In this way I will not have to change the passport and FNU problem will be sorted too.

Kindly advise.

Regards
        Venky

Comment

I am also in similar problem..

Hi,

I am into same situation, I was filling DS160 form for my H1B stamping and the support team from my company mentioned that it is advised to update the passport with Surname. I am planning to go for stamping in Dec 2012 - 2nd week.

Can I get a new passport with Surname added after stamping? And will face difficulties for getting (SSN, License, opening bank accounts, etc) with both the old and new passports in hand?

Appreciate your advice on this.

Thanks
          Saravanan

Thanks a lot Raghvi for your help. Much appreciated. Another option I was thinking about to have one 'Observation Made' in the passport with first name and last name split. Will that suffice to sort the 'FNU' problem out in the visa? While making an observation, the passport office will generally make a hand written entry in the passport that 'the passport holder's name should be read as First Name : YYYY XX and Last Name : YYYYYY' . In this way I will not have to change the passport and FNU problem will be sorted too.

Kindly advise.

Regards
          Venky

Comment

Hi Venky, Did you get your issue solved ? Kindly share what you did.

Hi

Thank You.
            Venky
            Hi Venky, I am in similar situation. Please update how you got it solved.

Comment

How did you finally get it resolved?

Hi

Thank You.
              Venky
              Please update how did you get it done, I am in similar situation. It will help me out.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X