Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration while in the US

Good Morning,

I am a German citizen, and I will be travelling to the United States on a 90 dasy waiver with my boyfriend, who will be working there for about a year.
    Is there a way I can apply for employment based immigration while I am in the US for the 90 days.
    My actualy goal is to eventually join the Air Force. But unfortunately I will need a green card before I can do so.
    If anyone has any ideas on how to best proceed please let me know.

Thanks!

Employment based immigration is mostly filed by the employer for the employee, so during your 90 day stay, you could look for an employer who'd be willing to do it for you. Such immigrant visas (green cards) usually take a couple of years for processing/wait.

If you wish to work in US on a temporary work visa like your boyfriend,
    you will again have to find an employer to file for your work visa.
    If you succeed, you'll have to return to Germany to get that visa at the
    US embassy because change of status from visa-waiver to another visa
    status is not allowed.

Originally posted by DarkChild
    Good Morning,

I am a German citizen, and I will be travelling to the United States on a 90 dasy waiver with my boyfriend, who will be working there for about a year.
    Is there a way I can apply for employment based immigration while I am in the US for the 90 days.
    My actualy goal is to eventually join the Air Force. But unfortunately I will need a green card before I can do so.
    If anyone has any ideas on how to best proceed please let me know.

Thanks!

Comment

thanks

thanks, that was helpful information. So basically I ahve to expect having to travel back to Germany after those 90 days and just see how things will have developped since then.
      my boyfriend and me are planning on getting married while we are in the US. If that works out alrite, I should be able to obtain an L-2 visa and a work-permit. Will I have to travel back to Germany for that, too? And who will have to file the petition for that and where?

Comment

Yes, to get an L-2 , you will have to travel back to germany because visa-waiver program forbids you to change or extend status in US.Read in detail about entering US on visa-waiver on this page;

It may be wiser for both of you to get married in Germany before departing
        for US. That way, you will right away be eligible for an L2 and you will save
        the airfare you will spend visiting US on your visa waiver. You do not need to file a petition for an L2 ; you will get it at the US embassy in Germany by showing your husband's L1 approval papers , evidence of your marriage
        and other forms for a non-immigrant visa that your boyfriend used for his
        L1.

thanks, that was helpful information. So basically I ahve to expect having to travel back to Germany after those 90 days and just see how things will have developped since then.
        my boyfriend and me are planning on getting married while we are in the US. If that works out alrite, I should be able to obtain an L-2 visa and a work-permit. Will I have to travel back to Germany for that, too? And who will have to file the petition for that and where?

Comment

thanks again taco, you are being most helpful.
          But unfortunately there are some other issues that keep us from doing things we would like to do. I am currently married and I have not gotten my divorce yet. I have been waiting for a while and I dont know how much longer it is going to take. Getting married here in Germany takes too long and requires too much paperwork. When it comes to the marriage situation I suppose we could say money is not exactly an issue. I can take several trips, it is just very inconvenient.
          I checked into some more things in the meantime, and I guess I should be able to obtain a B-2 visitor's visa before I leave, if we can find out where exactly we will be staying. Is it possible to change status from within the US on a B-2 visa? I mean I would love to work and all that but if the B-2 is the eaiest way for me to be with my boyfriend, I will have to make that sacrifice.
          We can still get married and then try to apply for the L-2 (if necessary from Germany) while I hold the B-2 I take it?!?

Comment

Yes, you can change status while on B-2 but
            B-2 is not always easy to get. I am in India and it is hard to get one here ; I don't know about Germany though. For a B2 you will have to convince the officer that you have very strong ties to Germany to which you will return and the purpose of your trip justifies stay over and above visa-waiver's 90 days. And if you mention that you are accompanying your boyfriend with an L1 , the officer at the embassy may deny the visa. Some tips;
            1.Try to apply for a B2 and travel independent of your boyfriend. And join him in US later.
            2. Do not get married in US soon after you arrive; give it 2-3 months.

I hope you get your B2. Good luck.

thanks again taco, you are being most helpful.
            But unfortunately there are some other issues that keep us from doing things we would like to do. I am currently married and I have not gotten my divorce yet. I have been waiting for a while and I dont know how much longer it is going to take. Getting married here in Germany takes too long and requires too much paperwork. When it comes to the marriage situation I suppose we could say money is not exactly an issue. I can take several trips, it is just very inconvenient.
            I checked into some more things in the meantime, and I guess I should be able to obtain a B-2 visitor's visa before I leave, if we can find out where exactly we will be staying. Is it possible to change status from within the US on a B-2 visa? I mean I would love to work and all that but if the B-2 is the eaiest way for me to be with my boyfriend, I will have to make that sacrifice.
            We can still get married and then try to apply for the L-2 (if necessary from Germany) while I hold the B-2 I take it?!?
            Last edited by taco; 03-26-2006, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Well I have found information on another website, that made me kind of optimistic as far as the B-2 goes.
              It stated on there that permanent cohabitants, which we are, can get visas issued more or less automatically.
              My boyfriend currently holds ( I had to recheck and it turns out he is holding an H2B and will apply for L-1 in the states) H2B and the cohabitant partner can obtain a B-2. I also checked the webpage for the consulate here in Germany and on there they do not say anything about required documents by the sponsor. Seems that it is a little easier for Germans to get a B-2 visa. I hope that a rental agreement in both our names, some pictures and official registration documents for both of us at the same address will suffice to prove our relationship.
              As far as my ties in Germany are concerned, I dont really know what they want as proof. I can show them the appartment I am keeping here and bankstatements. Furthermore my whole family lives here. That should be enough I hope.
              I'll give the embassy a call tomorrow and I will find out more then. I am pretty optimistic. Thanks again for all your help so far!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X