Dual Citizenship Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Citizenship Question

Hi guys, I just wanted some opinions on the following case: I'm an LPR with dual nationality (one southamerican country and one european). My main passport (the South american is the one I have always used) is expiring and there is not much chance of me getting it renewed (almost impossible these days).

During my green card process I did list both nationalities in the application. Would it be a problem to just continue existing and entering the US with my secondary passport (european)?

Thanks for your comments,

defh

Originally posted by defh View Post
    Hi guys, I just wanted some opinions on the following case: I'm an LPR with dual nationality (one southamerican country and one european). My main passport (the South american is the one I have always used) is expiring and there is not much chance of me getting it renewed (almost impossible these days).

During my green card process I did list both nationalities in the application. Would it be a problem to just continue existing and entering the US with my secondary passport (european)?

defh
    What let's you into the US is your LPR, not your citizenship. I wouldn't see the problem either coming in with a different passport since it should be in the system. I am also dual national and they both of my citizenships registered in Immigration, because i use Global entry. If not sure, send email to USCIS or CBP. I have a south American passport and USC

Comment

Originally posted by defh View Post

defh
      Take a look at this link. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/820 At the bottom, you'll see that as a LPR all you need to present at the port of entry is your green card. That's it. "If you are a green card holder and you do not stay outside the U.S. for 1 year or more, you should have either your green card (I-551) or your returning resident visa to re-enter the United States. You are not required to present your unexpired passport, however it is not a bad idea to carry it with you."

- You should be able to renew your South American passport by mail by sending it to your country's embassy or nearest consulate. Most countries provide that service abroad for their citizens living abroad. I'd check the website. Up to you, of course. Remember that your country, as most countries do, expects you to enter with your South american passport. I have two passports and I have not used anything but my US passport in long time, even to visit my country of origin. It's never been an issue.

- The N-400 does not mention anything about submitting a copy of your passport. All they want is your green card. So I see no issue in using the european one exclusively. US law also does not mention anything about dual nationality. You won't be asked to surrender other passports at your oath ceremony. Basically, they don't care.

All the best.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X