Elderly Grandmother in Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderly Grandmother in Germany

I am a US citizen and my 88 year old grandmother is a German citizen and is in failing health. She has no one to care for her and her only relative is my father who lives in the US as a resident alien. Is there a way that we can bring her to the US to live out her final days? She said she does not want to die alone. Thank you.

Originally posted by Dreamskape View Post
    I am a US citizen and my 88 year old grandmother is a German citizen and is in failing health. She has no one to care for her and her only relative is my father who lives in the US as a resident alien. Is there a way that we can bring her to the US to live out her final days? She said she does not want to die alone. Thank you.
    You can try sponsoring her for her Green Card via consular processing,, but the process from start to finish takes time. so depending on how much time you think she has(since you mentioned last days) it may not be feasible. you can also try having her at least come visit for a bit.
    This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

Originally posted by krypton9591 View Post
      You can try sponsoring her for her Green Card via consular processing,, but the process from start to finish takes time. so depending on how much time you think she has(since you mentioned last days) it may not be feasible. you can also try having her at least come visit for a bit.
      The OP can't petition a grandmother. If the grandmother has a child who is a US citizen, they can petitioner her to immigrate to the US. Or, the OP's father can naturalize and then petition the grandmother.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
        The OP can't petition a grandmother. If the grandmother has a child who is a US citizen, they can petitioner her to immigrate to the US. Or, the OP's father can naturalize and then petition the grandmother.
        Sorry meant to type Y'all(texas speak can be really confusing sometimes) also didn't realize a USC who wasn't the direct off spring of the petionee couldn't sponsor said immigrant. I thought if it was a family member they could sponsor them.
        This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

I mean i dont know how long she has to live but she could always come on a visitor visa for 3 months with ESTA waiver.
          If you require healthcare for her here, i would look into if insurance covers those things.
          This is my opinion, not legal advice!

AOS (c9) 2 USC 485/130/131/765
          122017 - PD
          012518 - Biometrics
          033118 - EAD/AP Combo card delivered
          062618 - "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview"
          082618 - "we scheduled an interview for your Form I-485"
          090418 - 2nd we scheduled
          091018 - first interview canceled
          092118 - Request to reschedule int
          102318 - Renewal filed EAD/AP
          030819 - EAD/AP Card in hand
          040219 - We canceled your int
          040519 - Int sched
          051419 - Interview
          053119 - approved

Comment

I hope you found the solution, and it would be great if you shared your experience here. I have a similar problem right now. My grandmother is 80 and she lives in England. Her health is bad. All I can do is to send money , but I want her to move to the USA to live with me, so I can take care of her. Anyway, thanks for sharing the info, I'll check the suggested sources out.
            Last edited by BNic; 02-20-2022, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BNic View Post
              I hope you found the solution, and it would be great if you shared your experience here. I have a similar problem right now. My grandmother is 80 and she lives in England. Her health is bad. All I can do is to send money, but I want her to move to the USA to live with me, so I can take care of her. Anyway, thanks for sharing the info, I'll check the suggested sources out.
              ** for you. Yeah, you are right. It's time to take care of your grandmother. Because she is older right now. And of course, she needs proper care.
              Last edited by DustinFerreira; 11-23-2023, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamskape View Post

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother's situation. As a U.S. citizen, you may be able to bring your grandmother to the U.S. through family-based immigration options, though the process can be complex, especially considering her age and health condition. It's advisable to consult with an immigration attorney who can guide you through the specific requirements and expedite the process, ensuring your grandmother is not left alone in her final days.​

Comment

I think you should try to get a visa for your grandmother in the US or look into some special relocation programs. It might make sense to consult a lawyer about such issues. Also, when you are able to move your grandmother, take care of how she will get to you from the airport, So that she doesn't have to wait long and is picked up right away. Good health to your grandmother!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X