Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• renew green card

Hi !
    I need some help on this one: I became a family based green card back in 1980.I was about 4 at the time. My greencard had no expiration date.We left the U.S about 6 years later and went back to Germany.As I reentered the U.S at age 18 I was told to give up my green card.I was so dumb founded and intimidated that I did so only to find out later that I did´nt have to give the officers my card.
    Anyways I went back to Germany and now I would like to go back to the U.S to live and work since my only relative left,my sister U.S citizin,lives there.
    Can I by any chance get my green card back?
    Thanks for any help!

Originally posted by misstia
    Hi !
    I need some help on this one: I became a family based green card back in 1980.I was about 4 at the time. My greencard had no expiration date.We left the U.S about 6 years later and went back to Germany.As I reentered the U.S at age 18 I was told to give up my green card.I was so dumb founded and intimidated that I did so only to find out later that I did´nt have to give the officers my card.
    Anyways I went back to Germany and now I would like to go back to the U.S to live and work since my only relative left,my sister U.S citizin,lives there.
    Can I by any chance get my green card back?
    Thanks for any help!

You probably lost your GC because you did not maintain US residence. Even if you didnt physically hand back the card, the officer could still have revoked your status. However, from what you wrote, Im not sure if you just gave up the card or whether you actually lost your permannet residency. The actual card has a ten year validity, although your status as a permanent resident is permanent so perhaps its just the card he took because it had expired but your status remains unaffected..............its hard to know without knowing exactly what was said but since you entered the US, it seems to me like you simply gave up the card, not your status. If that is so, simply apply for a new card from USCIS.

Comment

renew green card

Hi,
      thanks for your input! Well, I had a alien resident card and it was permanent.
      There was no expiration date on my card.
      I left the U.S at age 6 and reentered again at the age of 18.I was told to sign a piece of paper and I don´t even remember what it said.I handed out my card to the officers and that was that.I was still able to enter the U.S but without my card I had no chance to stay so I left a couple of months after.I still have my SSN but I don´t know if that is any help either.
      Is there still any chance to get my card - status back?
      Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by misstia
        Hi,
        thanks for your input! Well, I had a alien resident card and it was permanent.
        There was no expiration date on my card.
        I left the U.S at age 6 and reentered again at the age of 18.I was told to sign a piece of paper and I don´t even remember what it said.I handed out my card to the officers and that was that.I was still able to enter the U.S but without my card I had no chance to stay so I left a couple of months after.I still have my SSN but I don´t know if that is any help either.
        Is there still any chance to get my card - status back?
        Thanks in advance!
        No offense, but youre giving me the same information and Im giving you the same response.

Without knowing what you signed, there is no way to know what you were giving up: whether it was just the card or your actual status. As I said before,You were out of the US for many years so you could have in fact lost it. , however because you were allowed to enter however, its not unreasonable to conclude that all you gave up was the card and not the status. But there is no way any one knows for sure. All you have to do is apply for a new card. If youre not eligible, they will deny the application. If youre no longer a US resident, you can't just get it back., your sister would have to reapply for you. You would have to speak with an attorney though to see perhaps, because you were a minor, whether there are special rules which apply to your case, in the event that you did in fact lose your residency.

Comment

thanks

Thank you again,

yes there is no way for sure to know what the actual status is. I will see an attorney and go from there.
          I just hope that I can get a replacement if not then I will just have to stick with form F4 and wait another 4 years until my file comes up.
          Thanks anyways and happy holidays!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X