Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got married and didnt change name...What should I do?(I-485 pending)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got married and didnt change name...What should I do?(I-485 pending)

Hi. Im a US Citizen that married a J-1 Visitor. We got married at the courthouse and we didnt change her last name to mine. How should we go about doing this. I filed I-485 and everything that goes with it, but I would like her to have my name on everything we have tpgether including an apt, 2 cars, bank acct, etc etc etc.

Will this affect our I-485 if she changes name before interview?

Please advise.

Thanks,
    Justin

Originally posted by mt3ch
    Hi. Im a US Citizen that married a J-1 Visitor. We got married at the courthouse and we didnt change her last name to mine. How should we go about doing this. I filed I-485 and everything that goes with it, but I would like her to have my name on everything we have tpgether including an apt, 2 cars, bank acct, etc etc etc.

Will this affect our I-485 if she changes name before interview?

Please advise.

Thanks,
    Justin
    there is no special form to chnag ename. Sh ejust start using your last name. No, it wont affect anyhting.

Comment

Originally posted by curiousone
      there is no special form to chnag ename. Sh ejust start using your last name. No, it wont affect anyhting.
      Ok Thanks....but how do you make it official so she can have her Driver License, Passport and everythign else with my last name? I just want it to be "official"

Comment

Hi,

The laws for changing name differ from state to state. Go to google and type how to change name "your state name" to get more information.

For example, if you are in california you can go to

www "dot" courtinfo "dot" ca "dot" gov "slash" selfhelp "slash" other "slash" namechange.htm

You need to go to your local court to change your name to make it official.

Comment

This is the reply I found on the net:

"What if I do want to take my husband's name? How do I make the change?
          A woman who wants to take her husband's name upon marriage need do nothing beyond promptly beginning to use that name. Use your new name consistently, and be sure to change your name on all of your identification, accounts and important documents. To change some of your identification papers -- your Social Security card, for example -- you'll need a certified copy of your marriage certificate, which you should receive within a few weeks after the marriage ceremony."

Comment

Originally posted by acpdelhi
            Hi,

The laws for changing name differ from state to state. Go to google and type how to change name "your state name" to get more information.

For example, if you are in california you can go to

www "dot" courtinfo "dot" ca "dot" gov "slash" selfhelp "slash" other "slash" namechange.htm

You need to go to your local court to change your name to make it official.

You only need to go to court to chnage your name if that name is chnaged for othe reasons othe rthan marraige. Fo rmarriage you simply just us ethe name. For any place that requires proof, you take the marraige certifictae. Its that simple.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X