Lease Issue with H1B extension denials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lease Issue with H1B extension denials

I am not sure if this question was asked before. I did search, but could not find any positive results.

Most of my friends have signed up with the apartment for 12 months assuming that their H1B extension will be approved. However, due to the recent H1B denials, they are subleasing the apartment. However, the apartment management is rejecting the applications for sublease and this is forcing the residents to pay their rent until their lease ends.

In such cases, what are our legal options? My H1B approval is pending and I am going to file AOJ, EAD and AP in the coming weeks. Hopefully, I won't be in the similar situation.

Are there any federal or state law that is on the side of residents in such cases? I heard that residents can break their lease if they are moving to a place which is more than 50 miles away from the current place. I am not sure how far this is true.
    Last edited by pnbalaji; 05-16-2019, 02:03 PM. Reason: Adding more information

Originally posted by pnbalaji View Post
    I am not sure if this question was asked before. I did search, but could not find any positive results.

Most of my friends have signed up with the apartment for 12 months assuming that their H1B extension will be approved. However, due to the recent H1B denials, they are subleasing the apartment. However, the apartment management is rejecting the applications for sublease and this is forcing the residents to pay their rent until their lease ends.

In such cases, what are our legal options? My H1B approval is pending and I am going to file AOJ, EAD and AP in the coming weeks. Hopefully, I won't be in the similar situation.

Are there any federal or state law that is on the side of residents in such cases? I heard that residents can break their lease if they are moving to a place which is more than 50 miles away from the current place. I am not sure how far this is true.
    If you're moving more than 50miles is something I haven't heard of, this really depends on the state you live in and on the lease that you sign with your landlord.
    This is my opinion, not legal advice!

AOS (c9) 2 USC 485/130/131/765
    122017 - PD
    012518 - Biometrics
    033118 - EAD/AP Combo card delivered
    062618 - "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview"
    082618 - "we scheduled an interview for your Form I-485"
    090418 - 2nd we scheduled
    091018 - first interview canceled
    092118 - Request to reschedule int
    102318 - Renewal filed EAD/AP
    030819 - EAD/AP Card in hand