Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name change process

Hi all,

I got married in 2016 and I did not choose to change my name then just because of the perceived hassle, but would like to now. I was advised during a DHS interview that it would've been easier for the application process had I done so then, but regardless, I'm confused as to the process to have my name changed; websites are giving me differing information.

1. What do I file first (e.g., USCIS or DMV or SSN)?
    2. Would I need a court petition?

Any help, advice, or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Hi @rei,
    Start with filing a Petition for a Change of Name. This is a court process and after following all the steps (including publishing your old and new names in a newspaper) you will get a court decree certifying your new name. Then you can change your other IDs (DL, Green Card, SSN, etc.) by providing them the court decree and any other documents they ask for.

It takes a little time but is quite a simple process.
    Good luck!
    USC filed AOS for parents on B2. I am not a lawyer.
    Timeline
    7/21 <— 2 sets of I-130/485/944/864/131/765/693 reached Chicago Lockbox
    8/4 <— Checks cashed
    8/5 <— I-797 SMS
    8/24 <— Biometrics completed
    10/19 <— I-485 ("New Card Is Being Produced")
    10/20 <— I-130 and I-485 ("Case Was Approved")
    10/22 <— I-130 and I-485 Approval notices received
    10/28 <— Green card#1 received
    11/07 <— Green card#2 received

Comment

Verbose, where do you have to do that?

If Rei is a woman, all she needs is her marriage certificate. She can use that to change her name on her SSN, driver's license, passport (depending on her country's rules), etc.

Rei, just bear in mind that your immigration docs will be different so you may have to carry a copy of your marriage cert. when you travel until your next immigration process.

If you are not yet a citizen, you can also just wait until you file for citizenship and do it then. Free, no hassle.
      2/20: Received at Chicago lockbox
      4/04: We reviewed your biometrics and are processing your case (I-765 & I-485)
      4/18: Ready to be scheduled for an interview (No notification, not updated on either site until Aug 27)
      4/19: Request to expedite EAD
      5/11: Received EAD
      6/26: Applied for Advance Parole
      8/09: Advance Parole approved
      8/29: Scheduled for Interview
      10/11: Interview
      10/12: RFE on I-130 (misplaced G28)
      10/16: Sent new G28
      10/19: Approved!

Comment

Originally posted by ember View Post
        Verbose, where do you have to do that?

If Rei is a woman, all she needs is her marriage certificate. She can use that to change her name on her SSN, driver's license, passport (depending on her country's rules), etc.

Rei, just bear in mind that your immigration docs will be different so you may have to carry a copy of your marriage cert. when you travel until your next immigration process.

If you are not yet a citizen, you can also just wait until you file for citizenship and do it then. Free, no hassle.
        You are right. Marriage and Citizenship are convenient times to do this change.

In my wife's case, she changed the name a couple years after marriage (it was a slight change to first name, and added a last name), so our marriage certificate still has her old name.

Hope this helps.
        USC filed AOS for parents on B2. I am not a lawyer.
        Timeline
        7/21 <— 2 sets of I-130/485/944/864/131/765/693 reached Chicago Lockbox
        8/4 <— Checks cashed
        8/5 <— I-797 SMS
        8/24 <— Biometrics completed
        10/19 <— I-485 ("New Card Is Being Produced")
        10/20 <— I-130 and I-485 ("Case Was Approved")
        10/22 <— I-130 and I-485 Approval notices received
        10/28 <— Green card#1 received
        11/07 <— Green card#2 received

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X