Residency expired, now moving back to US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residency expired, now moving back to US

I am a U.S. citizen that is married to a Swedish citizen. A few years back my soon-to-be wife came to the U.S. on a Fiancé visa. After we got married, she received conditional permanent residency (2-year permit). However, prior to being eligible to adjust her status (I-751) to a non-conditional resident, we both moved together to her home country of Sweden. We knew that we intended to live in Sweden for over two years, so we did not apply for a re-entry permit. Further, my wife has been to the US for a visit on a visa waiver (i.e., <90 days as a tourist) during this time. Now we plan on moving back to the US. My question is do we need to just reapply for a permanent residency permit for her, or is there some other expedited way to reinstate her old residency? Further will there be any problems reapplying for the permit due to the fact that we “abandoned” her original residency permit? I should note that we have not received any formal notice from the INS that her residency has been officially revoked and have been residing in Sweden for the past 2-3 years. Thank you in advance for your help!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X