Rescind ITIN on getting SSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rescind ITIN on getting SSN

My Wife got her SSN last year and. I recently had sent a letter to Rescind her
    ITIN about a month back to the IRS office.
    I wanted to know how much time does it take to get a response on that? As I
    am unable to file my taxes until that happens.

Thanks,

You're over-complicating a simple matter.

There is no reason to rescind an ITIN when you get an SSN. Each is issued by a different agency (ITIN by IRS and SSN by SSA). Neither agency cares if you cancel the ITIN or not.

Just file your tax return with your wife's SSN and forget about the ITIN.

--Ray B

Originally posted by bipinsaxena View Post
    My Wife got her SSN last year and. I recently had sent a letter to Rescind her
    ITIN about a month back to the IRS office.
    I wanted to know how much time does it take to get a response on that? As I
    am unable to file my taxes until that happens.

Thanks,

Comment

Thanks Ray-B, but it seems I can only proceed with tax filing ones this is done as we file jointly and her last years tax details are all aligned to her ITIN and they would need to realign all those details to the SSN to allow me to proceed with the tax filing for this year it seems.

-Bipin

Comment

What you are saying is simply not correct. I've had an income tax practice for about 15 years and routinely handled returns for many immigrant clients, from obtaining ITIN's, then following up with subsequent filing with SSN's. If anyone told you that an ITIN must be rescinded, before filing can proceed with an SSN, his imagination was working overtime (no offense).

The IRS tracking is based on reports (employers, brokers, etc.) of income or monies given to the filer. Whether your wife used an ITIN one season and an SSN the next season, IRS does not have to "connect' the two tax ID numbers with any help from you.

--Ray B

Thanks Ray-B, but it seems I can only proceed with tax filing ones this is done as we file jointly and her last years tax details are all aligned to her ITIN and they would need to realign all those details to the SSN to allow me to proceed with the tax filing for this year it seems.

-Bipin

Comment

Thanks again Ray,

I am not able to proceed with the efiling ( using Turbo tax) as it is looking for previous yr tax details for my wife which are linked to her ITIN. And on submission I get a denial from IRS.

Also if you see here in this link http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Addit...IN-Information it clearly mentions that under this head "What do I do when I am assigned a social security number (SSN)?".

And that is why I had to send an application for the same.

Do you know an alternate way to proceed with my tax filing?

Thanks,

Bipin

Comment

The only advantage of advising IRS of the switch from an ITIN to an SSN is to combine prior earnings of spouse when she used an ITIN to report income. It's not a big deal, as there is no requirement that the prior income record be combined with new income, unless prior income (reported under ITIN) was significant.

I can't understand why you are having trouble with Turbotax. Simply report your wife's SSN as if you just started using Turbotax. There will be no denial from IRS. If you received a denial from IRS already, it is for a different reason than use of your wife's SSN.

I used commercial tax software for years (ATX) and never had a problem switching from ITIN to SSN for clients. This year I started wtih Turbotax for family returns and saw no indication of a problem that would occur when using an SSN for the first time.

-Ray B

Thanks again Ray,

I am not able to proceed with the efiling ( using Turbo tax) as it is looking for previous yr tax details for my wife which are linked to her ITIN. And on submission I get a denial from IRS.

Also if you see here in this link http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Addit...IN-Information it clearly mentions that under this head "What do I do when I am assigned a social security number (SSN)?".

Thanks,

Bipin

Comment

Filing taxes using ITIN and then rescind ITIN? (New SSN received)

Thanks again Ray,

Thanks,

Bipin
              Same issue for me.. Fed e-filing (turbo tax) getting rejected, since IRS is not able to match my wife's records - previous year filed using ITIN; And this year, trying to use SSN

Option A:
              I am thinking whether I should file using wife's ITIN and then rescind ITIN? (Since anyway the rescinding process takes more time than I have left for tax filing)

Option B:
              File for extension and then file later once ITIN is rescinded...

Bipin- would appreciate if you already received an update..?
              Did your try calling up IRS?

-BhasKey

Comment

Perhaps I am missing something in reading these two messages regarding the transition from ITIN to SSN. But in my 20+ years of running a tax practice, I never bothered with rescinding an ITIN after the spouse obtained an SSN. If IRS it not able to match a newly-assigned SSN, it is usually because the tax return's SSN or last name of the new SSN spouse does not match the Social Security database that IRS checks against.

--Ray B

Originally posted by sbhaskar77 View Post
                Same issue for me.. Fed e-filing (turbo tax) getting rejected, since IRS is not able to match my wife's records - previous year filed using ITIN; And this year, trying to use SSN

Option A:
                I am thinking whether I should file using wife's ITIN and then rescind ITIN? (Since anyway the rescinding process takes more time than I have left for tax filing)

Option B:

-BhasKey

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
                  Perhaps I am missing something in reading these two messages regarding the transition from ITIN to SSN. But in my 20+ years of running a tax practice, I never bothered with rescinding an ITIN after the spouse obtained an SSN. If IRS it not able to match a newly-assigned SSN, it is usually because the tax return's SSN or last name of the new SSN spouse does not match the Social Security database that IRS checks against.

--Ray B
                  Thanks! for your response.

I checked again and saw that we had changed my wife's name a bit on the SSN (there is now a family name attached to the surname - I hope that does not further complicate things for us!)
                  Not sure if that is the reason - but I have corrected it on the returns to match the SSN and re-submitted

IF this does not work, I will probably file using ITIN and then initiate ITIN rescind

PS: Turbotax gave me an option to re-file with the option as-if my wife was filing for the first time (with SSN)
                  But I did not want to take that - I felt that was not a good reflection of the situation.

-BhasKey

Comment

Over the years, my most common error resulting in an IRS tax return rejection was misspelling of the last name, followed by an SSN not given correctly to me. Hispanic last names of married women (and we dd a lot of Filipino and Mexican family tax returns) were a real headache. My guess is that your problem was caused by the spelling/format of your wife's last name not matching with the check against the SSN database.

--Ray B

Thanks! for your response.

I checked again and saw that we had changed my wife's name a bit on the SSN (there is now a family name attached to the surname - I hope that does not further complicate things for us!)
                    Not sure if that is the reason - but I have corrected it on the returns to match the SSN and re-submitted

IF this does not work, I will probably file using ITIN and then initiate ITIN rescind

PS: Turbotax gave me an option to re-file with the option as-if my wife was filing for the first time (with SSN)
                    But I did not want to take that - I felt that was not a good reflection of the situation.

-BhasKey

Comment

Over the years, my most common error resulting in an IRS tax return rejection was misspelling of the last name, followed by an SSN not given correctly to me. Hispanic last names of married women (and we dd a lot of Filipino and Mexican family tax returns) were a real headache. My guess is that your problem was caused by the spelling/format of your wife's last name not matching with the check against the SSN database.

--Ray B
                      Hi Ray, just so you know..
                      Correcting the name did not work! I submitted with the ITIN and that got accepted!!

I'm going to rescind the ITIN now.. Thanks!

Comment

Jerry,

I can't help but think there is a missing piece in your experience. Of course the ITIN would work, because it was issued by IRS and is on their database.

On the other hand, all tax return SSN's are matched against a Social Security database, and the edit checks are the SSN, DOB and last name (as best as I can recall)

If you attempted to use the SSN with the name in the same format as on the SSN card, it just doesn't make sense why it wouldn't be accepted unless the format of the name on the SSA database is somewhat different than what you have inputted.

I still maintain that it is pointless to rescind the ITIN, but it certainly can't do any harm to retire it.

--Ray B

Correcting the name did not work! I submitted with the ITIN and that got accepted!!

Comment

Option A:

Option B:

-BhasKey

No BhasKey, No response yet.. my case stays as is. I will again try to file this weekend and see if anything moved. Will keep you posted when it happens.

- Bipin

Comment

Filing with ITIN and then informing IRS about merging ITIN and SSN

Hi sbhaskar. I am in a similar situation this year. I am also leaning towards filing with ITIN and then asking for merging the SSN and ITIN files. Did you have any issues with this after filing, when you tried to rescind the ITIN?

Thanks

Comment

Jerry,

I can't help but think there is a missing piece in your experience. Of course the ITIN would work, because it was issued by IRS and is on their database.

On the other hand, all tax return SSN's are matched against a Social Security database, and the edit checks are the SSN, DOB and last name (as best as I can recall)

If you attempted to use the SSN with the name in the same format as on the SSN card, it just doesn't make sense why it wouldn't be accepted unless the format of the name on the SSA database is somewhat different than what you have inputted.

I still maintain that it is pointless to rescind the ITIN, but it certainly can't do any harm to retire it.

--Ray B
                              Please see FAQ on IRS Site.

What do I do when I am assigned a social security number (SSN)?

Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN. It is improper to use both the ITIN and the SSN assigned to the same person to file tax returns. It is your responsibility to notify the IRS so we can combine all of your tax records under one identification number. If you do not notify the IRS when you are assigned a SSN, you may not receive credit for all wages paid and taxes withheld which could reduce the amount of any refund due. You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined. Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available. The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN. Send your letter to:

Internal Revenue Service
                              Austin, TX 73301-0057

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X