Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File tax return while working abroad?

Hi All,

I'm an expat, have been working abroad since mid-2012 and now am trying to bring my fiance to the US. I'm trying to figure out the best way to prove that I can support her given the US-earned income requirement. I had the idea that if I file my 2014 tax return as a US resident (I've maintained a permanent US address, and am paid into a US account by a US company), and pay taxes for the year (don't exlude my foreign earned income) then maybe that would be sufficient for the I-134 even though I was actually living abroad while earning that money? Has anyone tried this or has thoughts about whether this is legit or could work?

Thanks in advance!

U.S. citizens and Green Card holders are required to report worldwide income by filing an income tax return. If you qualify, your tax return should exempt your earned income from an income tax liability (up to a certain max). Your I-134 should report your total income, not the net amount result from the income tax exemption.

--Ray B

Originally posted by mmmb View Post
    Hi All,

I'm an expat, have been working abroad since mid-2012 and now am trying to bring my fiance to the US. I'm trying to figure out the best way to prove that I can support her given the US-earned income requirement. I had the idea that if I file my 2014 tax return as a US resident (I've maintained a permanent US address, and am paid into a US account by a US company), and pay taxes for the year (don't exlude my foreign earned income) then maybe that would be sufficient for the I-134 even though I was actually living abroad while earning that money? Has anyone tried this or has thoughts about whether this is legit or could work?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      U.S. citizens and Green Card holders are required to report worldwide income by filing an income tax return. If you qualify, your tax return should exempt your earned income from an income tax liability (up to a certain max). Your I-134 should report your total income, not the net amount result from the income tax exemption.

--Ray B
      Thanks Ray.

I am still a bit confused on this issue because Form I-864 (items 6.13a-c) instructs to enter the "total income" from my Form 1040. The total income (Line 22 on Form 1040) excludes any foreign-earned income, if a foreign earned income tax credit (Form 2555) is filed. Thus it would be near-zero if I file the income tax credit, but above the 125% poverty threshold if I do not file the credit. By extension I presume this is also true for I-134, although the instructions are not explicit about this. I'm wondering how the USCIS would view this situation.

Comment

MMMB,

On the I-864, the total income amounts, page 5, are estimates of annual income for the current year, based on proof of your current compensation agreement with an employer or for fixed income.

The 13a tax income is from line 22 of your Form 1040.

The Total Income on form I-134 is an estimate of your expected annual income for the current year.

--Ray B

Originally posted by mmmb View Post
        Thanks Ray.

I am still a bit confused on this issue because Form I-864 (items 6.13a-c) instructs to enter the "total income" from my Form 1040. The total income (Line 22 on Form 1040) excludes any foreign-earned income, if a foreign earned income tax credit (Form 2555) is filed. Thus it would be near-zero if I file the income tax credit, but above the 125% poverty threshold if I do not file the credit. By extension I presume this is also true for I-134, although the instructions are not explicit about this. I'm wondering how the USCIS would view this situation.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X