Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filing Tax for 2014 - I was on F1, Wife on F2 (Married in May, 2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filing Tax for 2014 - I was on F1, Wife on F2 (Married in May, 2014)

Hello, Friends -

I am currently on F1 (OPT) and my wife is on F2. I am planning to file my taxes for the year 2014 during which period I was single (on F1) for the first half of the year and married for the second half (I was on F1, wife F2).

This is my current situation:
    - I worked in two different states (within the university and internship)
    - My wife joined me on F2 in September
    - My wife doesn't have an ITIN or SSN

So my questions are,
    1. What should my filing status for 2014 be? Single OR Married Filing Jointly OR Married Filing Separately? Is it only one W4 even if I have two different W2s?
    2. Should my wife also file a return even though she was a dependent and didn't work in the US?
    3. I understand that I need to fill the paper return and also apply for ITIN along with that. We do not want to send out passport through mail. Will her Aadhar card from India or any other identification work?
    4. Which are the forms I need to fill and by when? Since it is a manual filing, should it be done well within April 15th?

Any help in this matter is appreciated! I have searched a lot on the internet and found contradicting, incomplete answers! Is it best if I reach out to an accountant (maybe H&R Block?!)?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Thanks,
    Pradeep

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X