Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J1 Research scholar and independent contractor

Hi,

I'm trying to navigate the J1 visa tax rules to assess whether i will be classed as a tax resident for 2016 and 2017. I'm confused about the implications of being an independent contractor on a J1 research scholar visa. I'd really appreciate any guidance on how i'm likely to be classified during 2016 and 2017. I'm likely to be working on the following scenario:

I'm a UK resident working in the US as an independent contractor and have a J1 research scholar visa. My first question is, do i qualify for a two year exemption period as some J1 categories seem to?

If not, will i be liable to pay US tax for time spent in 2016 or 2017? My residency in the US is likely to be as follows: 2014 (0 days), 2015 (81 days - PhD student funded by UK research grant), 2016 (197 days - all as independent contractor and all paid by one US institution), 2017 (151 days - all as independent contractor and all paid by one US institution).

Hope the above is enough info to give a basic assessment. Any input hugely appreciated!

Thanks.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X