Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to deal with the IRS?

Hi,

I've gotten an immigrant visa independent of my wife, who is a US citizen. She has been living outside the US most of her life - in three different countries. We'd like to move to the US now, but are somewhat intimidated by the IRS requirements to file a tax return for her. She's never done this before because she left the US as a child.
    She's never made much money. She had a student job for a few years and has been unemployed since then.
    The IRS website is unintelligible to us and we really want to avoid any mistakes.

What's the best way to handle this situation? Since we don't live in the US, we don't have access to US attorneys. If possible, we'd like to avoid excessive fees for legal council.

IRS regulations require that U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents must report foreign income. If there is no foreign income, the requirement to file an income tax return for the most recent year does not apply to your wife.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Robob View Post
    Hi,

I've gotten an immigrant visa independent of my wife, who is a US citizen. She has been living outside the US most of her life - in three different countries. We'd like to move to the US now, but are somewhat intimidated by the IRS requirements to file a tax return for her. She's never done this before because she left the US as a child.
    She's never made much money. She had a student job for a few years and has been unemployed since then.
    The IRS website is unintelligible to us and we really want to avoid any mistakes.

What's the best way to handle this situation? Since we don't live in the US, we don't have access to US attorneys. If possible, we'd like to avoid excessive fees for legal council.

Comment

Originally posted by Robob View Post
      Hi,

she had been violated for not reporting foreign income. IRS is requiring every Perment Resident or Citizen must file their income tax even they are not work inside the country. better to file amend return to the last three year

Comment

If your wife has not earned income abroad, she needs to provide a statement explaining that as the reason for not filing a tax return, and then you need a co-sponsor.

--Ray B

Originally posted by proonindiandoc View Post
        she had been violated for not reporting foreign income. IRS is requiring every Perment Resident or Citizen must file their income tax even they are not work inside the country. better to file amend return to the last three year

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X