Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Withdraw W-7 application after SSN?

Hi,
    My husband and I filed jointly for this year's tax returns in Feb. I also submitted a W-7 application for a new ITIN (this was my first time filing US tax return). This was done at a local IRS office. After 5 weeks, I got a letter from IRS asking for my original passport to process my W-7 form, which I do not wish to send by mail after reading all the nightmarish stories about document loss and long processing times. In the meanwhile, I also became eligible for an SSN (yet to apply). Therefore I wish to know:

(a) Is it possible to withdraw my ITIN application once my SSN is issued? Do I need to inform federal and state revenue services seperately?
    (b) Since my W-7 is on hold, it means my taxes haven't been processed yet. If I inform the IRS about my SSN after April 18th, will I be subjected to paying late filing dues?
    (c) Are there any alternative documents to send to the IRS instead of the passport? A certified copy is not an option either since I do not live near a consulate or embassy.

Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by SapnaShukla View Post
    Hi,
    My husband and I filed jointly for this year's tax returns in Feb. I also submitted a W-7 application for a new ITIN (this was my first time filing US tax return). This was done at a local IRS office. After 5 weeks, I got a letter from IRS asking for my original passport to process my W-7 form, which I do not wish to send by mail after reading all the nightmarish stories about document loss and long processing times. In the meanwhile, I also became eligible for an SSN (yet to apply). Therefore I wish to know:

(a) Is it possible to withdraw my ITIN application once my SSN is issued? Do I need to inform federal and state revenue services seperately?
    (b) Since my W-7 is on hold, it means my taxes haven't been processed yet. If I inform the IRS about my SSN after April 18th, will I be subjected to paying late filing dues?
    (c) Are there any alternative documents to send to the IRS instead of the passport? A certified copy is not an option either since I do not live near a consulate or embassy.

Thanks for your help!
    As I know, you don't have to do anything. Even you have ITIN, it will automatic expire after 3 year is you are not using it on Tax Return

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X