Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filling tax jointly or separate but married?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling tax jointly or separate but married?

Hello! I'm a permanent resident from Oct this year. My wife is US citizen anf she has student loan monthly payment for that. If we fill taxes jointly than our income will count like one and her monthly payment will go up becouse it depends of income.
    So my question is if we fill tax returns separately but married can that affect on my immigration status? Can thay affect on my application for removing conditions from my permanent residence card?
    Thank you

Originally posted by lkt80 View Post
    Hello! I'm a permanent resident from Oct this year. My wife is US citizen anf she has student loan monthly payment for that. If we fill taxes jointly than our income will count like one and her monthly payment will go up becouse it depends of income.
    So my question is if we fill tax returns separately but married can that affect on my immigration status? Can thay affect on my application for removing conditions from my permanent residence card?
    Thank you
    It should be okay as long as you have a financial reason for why filing separately is better in your case, and it sounds like you do.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Filing jointly or separately

There should be no effect on your immigration status of on changing your status whether you file separately or jointly. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) allow you to choose any method to your advantage. If you file jointly, that give a strong impression that you are married (and that is the reason for a joint return filing). However, if you can explain clearly why you each filed separately and the advantage for filing separately, then there should be no problem.

Comment

If you're planning to take the standard deduction, couples who choose to file jointly will receive $24,400 as compared to just $12,200 for those married filing separately couples. "The deductions and credits are much more favorable if you file married filing jointly, instead of married filing separately,

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X