• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newacct
    replied
    Originally posted by surananeha View Post
    Hi,

We are here on l1 visa. While my husband and I have Ssn, the kids don't. We need to claim benefits for daycare this year. Can someone please explain the process to apply so I don't have to send passports in (we have India travel coming up). Everything I read says apply while filing returns. Not sure how that works since I assume we need to refer to itin in filing when claiming the child care benefits. Any clarity would be great. Thanks!
    It needs to be applied for together with the filing of your tax return. You would either have to mail in the original copy of the passport, or go to certain IRS taxpayer assistance centers that perform certification for ITIN purposes, where you can give them the completed tax return and passport, and they can return the passport the same day.

If you can't apply for it now, you can always file your tax return without the kids and amend your tax return later when it is convenient to apply for an ITIN (which you would apply for together with the amendment filing).

Leave a comment:

• surananeha
    started a topic Itin for kids

Itin for kids

Hi,

We are here on l1 visa. While my husband and I have Ssn, the kids don't. We need to claim benefits for daycare this year. Can someone please explain the process to apply so I don't have to send passports in (we have India travel coming up). Everything I read says apply while filing returns. Not sure how that works since I assume we need to refer to itin in filing when claiming the child care benefits. Any clarity would be great. Thanks!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X