Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claiming visiting parents as dependents for TAX deduction

Hi All,

My mother-in-law,father-in-law are statying with us in this year.
    Initially they came on jan 15 2008 and left india on juy 15 2008 and came back on oct15th for 6 more months. They are having USA visitor visa.

We fully support them.

Can I apply for them for TIN# and claim them as dependants on my 2008 tax returns?

I heard that if they stay more than 6 months in any tax year, we are eligible to claim them as dependents? Is that right?

Where can I find more information regarding this?

Please help.

--Kumar

If they stay with you ...

... in United States for more than six months at a stretch and you apply for their TIN, then once you get the TIN you can ask your CPA to include them as your dependants in this years tax filings.

Unless they stay with you for more than six months continually and without a TIN you cannot claim them as dependants.

Take care.

Comment

Visiting parents cannot be claimed as dependents.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

I agree with txh1b and NOT with knowledgeable on this matter.

Visiting parents can NOT be claimed as dependents. Please read relevant material on IRS web site. Parents must be either U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.

Just search this forum. Just few days ago, someone posted a message that he claimed his visiting parents as dependents and he got IRS audit that asked him to answer the question in Yes/No whether the parents are U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.

Therefore, please don't attempt and create unnecessary headache for you, at no gain.

I have confirmed this with CPA as well.
        Immihelp Support
        No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X