Help with Social Security and medicare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Social Security and medicare

I started working since April of 2003 (almost 18 months) for a Government Agency. I was on OPT till November,2003 and since then on my h-1
    I noticed that from my every pay check (twice a month),
    9.5% is deducted for Social Security and 1.45% for Medicare. Since I am on my H-1 visa and planning to return to India in a couple of years,
    I seriously feel this amount shoudnt have been deducted. Do I have to contact my employer or the Social Security in order to obtain the deducted amount.
    The main problem is I am the first international with our organisation and my personnell manager is not very good at handling these issues.

Also, federal and state taxes withheld are 15.85% and 3.4 %. I am really not sure if these are the right % for anyone on H-1 Visa.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Those taxes will be deducted whether you are on OPT, H1 or citizen.

That law is same for everyone.

Even if you are planning to go back, and if it is not fair to deduct that amount, there is nothing you or anyone can do.

If you wish to work in USA, those taxes will be deducted as per government rules. Period.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

I am in a similar spot... I did some research and found out that non-resident aliens are not to be subjected to medicare and SS taxes... not sure if this applies to you but the details may be found at http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq13-5.html

Hope this helps.

Comment

If you are on H1, you are subject to all those payroll taxes. Nothing you can do.
        Immihelp Support

Comment

Health Care SSN Benifits to parents

I am going to be citizen and then get my parent 70's here on Green Card to stay with us permanently. I kow that there is no wait time for parents to come on Green Card once I become Citizen. I have few questions!

1. Can I show my parents as dependent. What would be the TAX benifits.

2. Can I take their insurance as my depended from my employer.

3. Are they entitle for Medicare and SSN benifits?

Thanks!
          Last edited by standon; 09-28-2005, 01:02 PM.

Comment

1. Yes.
            2. No.
            3. No.

Read everything thoroughly at https://www.immihelp.com/family-base...ard/index.html
            Immihelp Support

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X