Tax filing after relocation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax filing after relocation

I'm relocating to Dallas, Texas in last week of Feb, 2020. I have few questions related to tax filing.

1. Tax deadline is April, 2020. So I have to file tax for income earned in USA after feb, 2020 only and not declare my earnings outside India for year 2019-2020?
    2. My company offers relocation assistance but take tax upfront. Should this amount be declared as salary as well.
    3. In India we pay advance tax and claim reimbursement after filing tax. Is it same in USA as well?

If you moved to a new location because of work, you may qualify to use IRS Form 3903 to claim the cost of your moving expenses as a deduction on your federal income tax return. For tax years prior to 2018, the IRS allows taxpayers to deduct eligible moving costs from the taxable income they report on Form 1040.

Comment

Hello,
      If I understood you correctly, you are saying that you moved from India into the United States during 2020. If you are were not an US citizen or alien of the USA by law you are not required to file any taxes. April 2020 was the deadline for all the legal aliens or citizens to file taxes for 2019 but due to Covid-19 it was postponed to July 15th. I hope this answers your question.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X