TIN Number + W2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIN Number + W2

I had filed my W2 Tax Returns in JAN2005 as single for year 2004.
    I got married last year(2004) and my wife got her visa last month(March'2005) and she joined me now for the first time.
    Please help me how to get TIN for her now. Were there any chances that I can re-submitt or correct information in W2 tax returns which I submitted for 2004 as single. I had not even included relocation expenses or any other befinits. I just filed in Hurry as Chennai consulate had put a query to H4 visa for my wife asking to submit 1040/W2.

Please suggest me on this.

Thanks
    Venu

The correct abbreviation is ITIN. As per the revised guidelines from IRS, you can no more submit a standalone application for ITIN. Instead when you will submit your next return for FY2005 in 2006, at that time do a married filing jointly, and along with your return (in the same envelope), submit your wife's ITIN as well. Do not forget to include all her supporting documents as well with the application.

As for your relocation expenses, etc. in 2004, you can file an amended return anytime within 3 years. However to best of my knowledge, you can not claim your wife as your dependent if she was not staying with you in any part of FY2004. You may like to check IRS site to be sure though or check with a tax professional.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X