Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LostInCountry View Post
    Hello Rajesh,

My husband just got his L1 extension blanket petition filed and now I am confused how to go about my L2 extension and EAD renewal done. Last year I lost my job as USCIS took 4 months to renew my EAD (I had sent my renewal application 60 days prior to expiry but it took longer for the to process it and in this long wait time my EAD was expired).

I had sent my EAD renewal request in July2018 which went to the Vermont Office(USCIS). They took 4 months to send me my renewed card and that also with a validity of only 5 months only since my husband's L1 is expiring in Apr2019.

Now when this L1 is getting extended its time again for me to renew my EAD once again. I want to send my L2 extension and EAD renewal together this time to the CA office. I do not think you can choose where to send the L2 Extension and EAD renewal documents (experts can correct me if this is incorrectly stated). It depends on where you are geographically located within the US. Please refer to the USCIS website for specific information about sending your I-539 (L2 Extension) and I-765 (EAD Renewal) forms and supporting documentation.

1. Is it safe for us to get the L1 extension stamped only for my husband in Canada or home country (India) is a better bet? If the visa application package is correctly prepared, in my opinion, it shouldnt matter whether you go for stamping in Canada or India.

2. Should my L2 stamping and EAD renewal be sent together to CA office hoping they will work sooner than the Vermont Center(their current I-765 processing time is 4months-6months)? Please see above - You will have to file paperwork based on where you reside in the US and not per which is your desired Service Center. I am
    worried as I do not want to wait for 3-4 months for my EAD renewal. I am unemployed due to this confusion on the processing time. Even though I get a job now I might have to get it
    terminated if it takes longer than April 2019 (my EAD is valid till Apr 2019)

2. Does the L2 extension and EAD renewal start only after L1 gets stamped? or is there a faster way to file it? As the process takes so long! Despite of my every effort to expedite the renewal
    they did not expedite it and rejected all my requests. L2 Extension may qualify for premium processing but EAD renewal does not have any such provisions for expedited processing. L2 extension is dependent of L1 approval and EAD renewal is dependent on L2 extension. L1 --> L2 --> EAD

3. Can the L2 extension and EAD renewal be filed in an expedited way? L2 extension - Yes, maybe; EAD renewal - No
    I hope these help you. Good luck.

Comment

Hi All,

I have been reading this thread and it is what i was looking for. My L1A is going to be filed for extension, along with my dependants extention. However this is where i want to understand is there is any significant difference if i filed EAD extension along with my extension packet or filing it separately using the extension receipts. Some of you here have undergone these and would like to know when u received the actual EAD cards. Was it immediately with your extension or they were delayed? If some of you can respond that would be helpful.

Comment

EAD renewal and L1,L2 extension

Hi,

My husband is L1 visa holder and I am his dependant(L2 visa). Our visas and i-94 expire on March 20, 2019. My EAD expires on Jan 20, 2019(it was given for a period of 2 years). Therefore I applied for renewal of my EAD by September 2018 and it is still pending. I have got the receipt and I can work with it for 180 days after expiry until my ead is accepted/rejected. Though I get a new EAD I will get it only till March 20,2019 as it is the date on my i-94.

My husband's company is yet to file L1/L2 visa extension for us. It will be done is a weeks time. My question is "Should I apply for EAD renewal when my earlier renewal is still pending?". Please advise.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by GUV View Post
          Hi,

My husband is L1 visa holder and I am his dependant(L2 visa). Our visas and i-94 expire on March 20, 2019. My EAD expires on Jan 20, 2019(it was given for a period of 2 years). Therefore I applied for renewal of my EAD by September 2018 and it is still pending. I have got the receipt and I can work with it for 180 days after expiry until my ead is accepted/rejected. Though I get a new EAD I will get it only till March 20,2019 as it is the date on my i-94.

My husband's company is yet to file L1/L2 visa extension for us. It will be done is a weeks time. My question is "Should I apply for EAD renewal when my earlier renewal is still pending?". Please advise.

Thanks
          I doubt if you can work with it for 180 days after expiry.If I am not wrong you will apply under category a (18), which is not eligible for automatic 180 extension as per :
          Last edited by L1A_asp; 01-09-2019, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Time lines for extension

Originally posted by us-im-1 View Post
            Thanks for the link, Rajesh. Yes, indeed, the interpretation is quite correct. Fortunately my employer agreed to file I-129, I-539 and I-765 together.. Now begins the wait! I hear, chances of rejection are more if you file in premium.. Anybody experienced / heard this as well?

Congrats that your company agreed to file L1/L2 extension + EAD Renewal together, I believe in this case all the document were sent to same service center and not the lock box for I-765, Please confirm..

Also did you got all the extension together? Do share your timelines.. Thanks

Regards
            Yougal Lakhani

Comment

L1A receipt notice in EAD renewal application

I applied for my wife's L2 EAD renewal by myself. In the packet, I sent my wife's L2 receipt notice to USCIS with other documents, but was not able to send my L1A receipt notice as it was with the company.
              I got my L1A receipt notice now. Should I send it to USCIS or wait for their RFE ?

Comment

L1A and L2 receipt having SRC# number but EAD receipt notice have EAC#

My Company applied for L1A and L2 extension and it has gone to Texas SVC, I applied for EAD renewal by myself based on L2 Receipt notice, but I got receipt notice starting with EAC# which means it has gone to Vermont. I dropped in Dallas Lockbox since I stay in GA. Is it a cause of concern???

Comment

Originally posted by sromit View Post
                  My Company applied for L1A and L2 extension and it has gone to Texas SVC, I applied for EAD renewal by myself based on L2 Receipt notice, but I got receipt notice starting with EAC# which means it has gone to Vermont. I dropped in Dallas Lockbox since I stay in GA. Is it a cause of concern???
                  i applied for my EAD renewal around mid Jan 2019 to Dallas Lockbox and i stay in GA. Mine went to Vermont too

Comment

Hi,
                    I am currently on the L2 visa and I have my EAD expiring in August. My spouse on L1 has applied for extension. But process is yet to start as our visa is actually ending in October. What should I do i this case. I am currently working.

Comment

Hi Rajesh, All,

My wife's L2 EAD expired on 20 March 2019. My L1B and wife's L2 visa expired on March 20 as well. I applied for my L1B extension and L2 extension last Nov 2018 and "got approval" upon premium upgrade this week. L1B extension approval copy is yet to be received and same with L2 extension. Our I94's are not yet updated in the system. My question is should I apply for my wife L2 EAD as new one or renewal? I was under the impression that I cannot apply for renewal unless and untill I receive a extension approval. Because of high rejection rate we didnot think of EAD then, but now that we got approval, can we file a new application or renewal application. If new, do we need to travel and get stamping done?

Now I feel bad that I didnot check this thread and did not apply for renewal before the card expired

Please suggest!

Thanks,
                      Tej

Comment

Originally posted by TejL View Post
                        Hi Rajesh, All,

My wife's L2 EAD expired on 20 March 2019. My L1B and wife's L2 visa expired on March 20 as well. I applied for my L1B extension and L2 extension last Nov 2018 and "got approval" upon premium upgrade this week. L1B extension approval copy is yet to be received and same with L2 extension. Our I94's are not yet updated in the system. My question is should I apply for my wife L2 EAD as new one or renewal? I was under the impression that I cannot apply for renewal unless and untill I receive a extension approval. Because of high rejection rate we didnot think of EAD then, but now that we got approval, can we file a new application or renewal application. If new, do we need to travel and get stamping done?

Now I feel bad that I didnot check this thread and did not apply for renewal before the card expired

Please suggest!

Thanks,
                        Tej
                        Hello Tej,

In my opinion, you will have to apply for a renewal of L2 (especially since you will apply for EAD after your L1B and L2 extensions are through and the L2 EAD is for the same category). There isnt much guidance on the USCIS website on when exactly to file for L2 EAD renewal so its only through forums and other ancillary information can one decide when to file. (I filed for my wife's L2 EAD extension after my L1A and her L2 extensions were filed and receipt numbers generated). I did this since it is a sequential approval process in the sense that L1A extension gets approved first, followed by L2 extension followed by L2 EAD renewal. I did get an RFE when her L2 EAD renewal case was picked up and they asked for L1A and L2 Extension approval notices (which I had received by then).

This is my understanding so please check with other experts or refer to the USCIS website - A new L2 will probably be applicable when you change categories (such as from L1A dependent to L1B dependent or H1B dependent etc.).

I do not think travel is necessary for L2 EAD.

Hope this helps. One guidance I always give is to review the USCIS website (specifically the section for filing I-765) as it contains the most up to date information filers need to see.

Good luck
                        Rajesh

Comment

Hello Rajesh, All,
                          i also faced the similar situation. Please share your opinion and inputs o the below.

I am holding the L2 visa/EAD and my spouse is holding a L1b Visa. Our visa's, I-94, EAD were suppose to expire on 05/19/2019 . Considering the expiration date, My spouse applied for L1 and L2 extension 01/29/2019 under Premium Processing. Based on the receipt notice of action I 797C, i applied for EAD on 02/15/2019 immediately on same day . We received the an RFE on L1/L2 Extension , and attorney took time and responded back around 04/15/2019. I received the renewed EAD card on 04/26/2019 but unfortunately with the same expiration date as 05/19/2019 . Luckily ,now couple of days back at 05/02/2019 we received the L1B approval notice for my spouse . My L2 approval notice is still not received and case status is still showing "Case received".

What do you guys suggest, should i wait for for my L2 approval notice and then apply for my EAD or should i apply for EAD using my expired i94 details or i can use my spouse updated I94 details.
                          None of the cases mentioned above has a conclusive remarks .
                          Is there anyone with similar situation. How much time it took for others to receive the L2 approval notice after the L1 Approval notice.

Any thoughts. ??

Comment

Originally posted by rporwal View Post
                            Hello Rajesh, All,
                            i also faced the similar situation. Please share your opinion and inputs o the below.

I am holding the L2 visa/EAD and my spouse is holding a L1b Visa. Our visa's, I-94, EAD were suppose to expire on 05/19/2019 . Considering the expiration date, My spouse applied for L1 and L2 extension 01/29/2019 under Premium Processing. Based on the receipt notice of action I 797C, i applied for EAD on 02/15/2019 immediately on same day . We received the an RFE on L1/L2 Extension , and attorney took time and responded back around 04/15/2019. I received the renewed EAD card on 04/26/2019 but unfortunately with the same expiration date as 05/19/2019 . Luckily ,now couple of days back at 05/02/2019 we received the L1B approval notice for my spouse . My L2 approval notice is still not received and case status is still showing "Case received".

What do you guys suggest, should i wait for for my L2 approval notice and then apply for my EAD or should i apply for EAD using my expired i94 details or i can use my spouse updated I94 details.
                            None of the cases mentioned above has a conclusive remarks .
                            Is there anyone with similar situation. How much time it took for others to receive the L2 approval notice after the L1 Approval notice.

Any thoughts. ??
                            Hello,

In my opinion, the USCIS has made a mistake in sending you a renewed L2 EAD that expires at the same time as the original L2 EAD (5/19/19). I hope you had applied your L2 EAD as "Renewal" and not "New" on Form I-765. Administrative mistakes may have resulted in an expiration date error.

If you had filled the form correctly as Renewal, I would suggest contacting the USCIS and explain to them that the EAD card received has the older expiration date of 5/19/19 and that you were/are seeking a new card based on the L1B/L2 extension with a future date.

If anything, USCIS should have held processing of your L2 EAD until after a decision had been reached on your L1B and L2 extension cases.

As far as next steps are concerned, I suggest waiting for your L2 extension to come through and then re-file L2 EAD renewal so that there is no ambiguity on expiration dates on the new EAD card.

Hope this helps.
                            Other experts should chime in if there is any mistake made in my comments above.

As always, please refer to the USCIS website for latest information/FAQs.

In my case, I had received L1A and L2 extension approvals on the same day (I had received the actual approval notices in the mail - and till date, the USCIS website shows my L1A and L2 extension cases as "Received").

Good luck
                            Rajesh

Comment

Hi Rajesh,

Thank you for responding to all my queries. I would like to know the importance of the "Tear-off portion to speed up the application for an extension". This came along with my wife's initial EAD card. It has got some barcodes stating help us serve better and attach this tear off portion to speed up your extension application. I would like to know if this speeds up in my case where I am applying after the card expired? Also, could you please give me the check list of documents to be sent for EAD renewal? My list:

1. L1B Approval Copy
                              2. L2 Approval Copy
                              3. Spouse passport xerox
                              4. Passport size Photos
                              5. Old EAD card
                              6. Tear off portion I mentioned above.
                              7. Marriage certificate.

Do we need to send anything else?

Thanks,
                              Tej.

Comment

Originally posted by TejL View Post
                                Hi Rajesh,

Thank you for responding to all my queries. I would like to know the importance of the "Tear-off portion to speed up the application for an extension". This came along with my wife's initial EAD card. It has got some barcodes stating help us serve better and attach this tear off portion to speed up your extension application. I would like to know if this speeds up in my case where I am applying after the card expired? Also, could you please give me the check list of documents to be sent for EAD renewal? My list:

1. L1B Approval Copy
                                2. L2 Approval Copy
                                3. Spouse passport xerox
                                4. Passport size Photos
                                5. Old EAD card
                                6. Tear off portion I mentioned above.
                                7. Marriage certificate.

Do we need to send anything else?

Thanks,
                                Tej.
                                Hi Tej,

Per USCIS instructions, we also sent a copy of that portion of the document to aid in renewal of the EAD. The USCIS probably requests this to tie/link your initial EAD to the renewed one to speed up the processing of the renewed EAD (beyond this reasoning, I don't know what else could this be used for).

Here is what I sent for my spouse (EAD Holder) .....
                                • Filing fee for Form I-765 of $410 via personal check payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
                                • Form G-1145, Request for e-Notification
                                • Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
                                • Copy of current EAD Card
                                • Copy of USCIS Mailer with the current EAD Card and Receipt information
                                • Copy of current I-94
                                • Copy of Passport with valid visa
                                • Copy of Form I-797C indicating Receipt Number (WACxxx) of Form I-539 (Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status)
                                • Copy of Form I-539 (Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status)
                                • Copy of Approval Notice Form I-797 for Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization) for current EAD; Receipt Number (LINxxx)
                                • 2 Photographs
                                and me (Principal L1 Holder) ....
                                • Copy of Spouse (Principal L1A Applicant) Form I-797C indicating Receipt Number (WACxxx) of Form I-129 (Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker)
                                • Copy of Spouse (Principal L1A Applicant) Form I-129 (Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker)
                                • Copy of Spouse (Principal L1A Applicant) Passport with valid visa
                                • Copy of Spouse (Principal L1A Applicant) current I-94
                                • Copy of Marriage Certificate
                                Please keep in mind, this is as of August 2017 - Do refer to other posts to see recent information.

Hope this helps.
                                Rajesh

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X