No announcement yet.

Entering the US with L1 and L2 visas 2 months in advance of starting working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entering the US with L1 and L2 visas 2 months in advance of starting working

Hello,
    I would appreciate some advices/information regarding my situation: my family will relocate to the US: me and my husband will both work with L1 visa, our 5 years old son received L2. My husband already travelled and started working in January, while I was planning to travel with my son in March, spend 2 months with finding an appropriate kindergarten and supporting my son with the big change, than starting working at the beginning of May. I applied and received the L1 visa for me and L2 visa for my son (both valid right away), but at the consulate I was informed that with the L1 type of visa I am allowed to enter the US only maximum 10 days in advance of the starting day of work (1st of May in my case). But, I was ensured that, since I also have a B1/2 visa, there shouldn't be any problems.

Than, the company that supported my application for the visa told me that the situation is different: my son is not allowed to enter with L2 visa if I enter with B1/2 visa, so I have to apply for B2 visa also for him. Than, in order to activate the L1 and L2 visas in May, we would have to travel out and back in the US by flight.

My question is if there is no easier solution for being able to travel in March and if indeed I would have to undergo all these additional steps.

Many thanks for any helpful answer!

Originally posted by Alx View Post
    Hello,
    I would appreciate some advices/information regarding my situation: my family will relocate to the US: me and my husband will both work with L1 visa, our 5 years old son received L2. My husband already travelled and started working in January, while I was planning to travel with my son in March, spend 2 months with finding an appropriate kindergarten and supporting my son with the big change, than starting working at the beginning of May. I applied and received the L1 visa for me and L2 visa for my son (both valid right away), but at the consulate I was informed that with the L1 type of visa I am allowed to enter the US only maximum 10 days in advance of the starting day of work (1st of May in my case). But, I was ensured that, since I also have a B1/2 visa, there shouldn't be any problems.

Than, the company that supported my application for the visa told me that the situation is different: my son is not allowed to enter with L2 visa if I enter with B1/2 visa, so I have to apply for B2 visa also for him. Than, in order to activate the L1 and L2 visas in May, we would have to travel out and back in the US by flight.

My question is if there is no easier solution for being able to travel in March and if indeed I would have to undergo all these additional steps.

Many thanks for any helpful answer!
    Since your husband is already in USA on L1 visa, your son can use his L2 to enter USA.

Does his L2 visa showing any annotation ? dependent on your L1 petition etc? If yes, then yes, you'll need to apply for his B2 visa or L2 again as dependent on your husband's petition.

If he'll apply for B2 his existing L2 "might" be cancelled.

Since he is just 5 years old, he don't need to attend interview for any visa & can use dropbox (IWP) for his visa.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Originally posted by Libra_14 View Post
      Since your husband is already in USA on L1 visa, your son can use his L2 to enter USA.

Does his L2 visa showing any annotation ? dependent on your L1 petition etc? If yes, then yes, you'll need to apply for his B2 visa or L2 again as dependent on your husband's petition.

If he'll apply for B2 his existing L2 "might" be cancelled.

Since he is just 5 years old, he don't need to attend interview for any visa & can use dropbox (IWP) for his visa.
      Thank you for the reply. Yes his visa has as annotation my name and my employer name, since I applied for our both visas. My husband applied 2 months in advance, so no connection between my son's L2 visa and my husband's L1 visa is visible (probably because an L2 visa can be connected to a single L1 visa). I suppose I will go on with applying for B2 for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Alx View Post
        Thank you for the reply. Yes his visa has as annotation my name and my employer name, since I applied for our both visas. My husband applied 2 months in advance, so no connection between my son's L2 visa and my husband's L1 visa is visible (probably because an L2 visa can be connected to a single L1 visa). I suppose I will go on with applying for B2 for him.
        Sure, give it a try & share your experience back with the forum.
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X