Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED HELP L2 dependent Considering changing to F1 before greencard

Hey guys could really use your help.

I’m a 20 year old who’s just come to the states on a L2 which expires in March. I’m hoping that my dad can file for the greencard before I age out. However if it’s not possible is there anyway I can stay on my L2, as my whole family has moved over.

i heard that if he applies before I turn 21 my age freezes so even if I don’t get the greencard as long as it’s processing I can legally remain in the country? Is this true?

I also considered changing my visa to a student visa like a F1. Would this a good idea so I remain in the country longer and when my dad files for the GC. Really stuck not sure what to do. What do you think is the better option.

also does anyone know the process and wait time for L2 to F1 visa

Thanks again.

You can certainly stay in USA as long as your L2 is valid or renewed/extended. You can switch to F1 as well (wait time is ~4 months).

If you apply for your AOS (I485) to GC before you turn 21 then you can continue to stay in USA. However, as per current timelines, you cannot file for your AOS (I485) if your primary L1 holder is going to apply for Immigrant petition (I140) now.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Great thanks for replying. Am I able to extend or renew even if it will expire in March?

Also if my dad was to file for the GC on L1A before March my birthday and do a family application is this still the case. Am I not able to file at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by Tml1 View Post
        Am I able to extend or renew even if it will expire in March?
        Yes.
        Also if my dad was to file for the GC on L1A before March my birthday and do a family application is this still the case. Am I not able to file at the same time?
        You need to understand the process of filing GC, its a 2 step process under EB1C. Depends on your country of birth.
        Last edited by Libra_14; 11-13-2019, 02:03 PM.
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

Comment

Also when I meant expire i meant I turn 21 so I age out is this the case. I thought you couldn’t extend beyond that point.

and great will do and country of birth would be UK. So am I correct in saying the company applies and at the same time we file for i140 and i485?

thanks again for the reply
          Last edited by Tml1; 11-13-2019, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Also when I meant expire i meant I turn 21 so I age out is this the case. I thought you couldn’t extend beyond that point.

and great will do and country of birth would be UK. So am I correct in saying the company applies and at the same time we file for i140 and i485?

thanks again for the reply
            Yes, UK citizen can file for I140 & I485 together & you can certainly extend to stay in USA once I485 is filed.

Comment

Okay great thanks again for all your help

Comment

Best of luck & please share back your experience for the benefit of others.

Comment

Yes will let you guys know in A few months of progress. It’s been really hard to find clear information on this so would be great to help others on this.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X