L2 renewal confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L2 renewal confusion

My wife and I came to the US in 2017. I'm on an L1-B visa and my wife has her L2. We got them at the same time together back in Dublin. The physical visa in both our passports expire 12 June 2022. The PED dates on both is 13 July 2020. Our i94s have expiry on 13th July 2020.

So far so good.

In January this year I had to travel to the UK for business so I was advised to renew my L1-B in London while abroad. My wife did not travel with me. I did this and my application was successful. I received a new physical visa in my passport with and end date of 09 Jan 2025 and a new PED of 30 Nov 2021. I returned to the US with my new visa and i129s and my current i94 matches the new PED date.

OK, so that's me out of the way. But of course my wife's i94 still expires 30 July 2020. We have just filed I-539 for my wife but I believe this can take a long time to process. I'm not fully comfortable waiting past her current i94 date.

What other options do I have? If we travel to Canada and return will her i94 be extended to my own PED date? Her visa is still valid, but the PED printed on that visa only states July 2020 so I'm confused there. Also when she comes back would we only need to see my new i129s right and not the old one?

Another option is then to go to a consulate abroad and renew there? So there are options, but I want to make sure we have the required information to do the right thing.

On a side note, we have both applied for AOS November last year. We both have EAD/AP cards from that which expire December 2020. The reason I want to keep my wife's L2 status in the meantime is that I think it's easier to travel and I want to make sure we have a backup just in case anything happens in regards to the AOS.

Thanks

Originally posted by dman9876 View Post
    What other options do I have? If we travel to Canada and return will her i94 be extended to my own PED date? Her visa is still valid, but the PED printed on that visa only states July 2020 so I'm confused there. Also when she comes back would we only need to see my new i129s right and not the old one?
    That's correct. as long as you are maintaining a valid status she will also get a new I94.
    Originally posted by dman9876 View Post
    Another option is then to go to a consulate abroad and renew there? So there are options, but I want to make sure we have the required information to do the right thing.
    If her visa is already valid as of now, then you don't need to go to consulate & get a new visa. Her I94 will be auto renewed upon entering USA.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X