Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1B expires 5 years GC

Hi everyone,

I have noticed by GC process will delay and will not be fully completed until my max out of 5 years L1B. One of the possibilities is to change status to H1B as you may know.
    However, thinking in the worst case scenario which would be in my case:
    To be waiting for the I-140 + I-485 + Green Card and then arrives the time to leave USA due to L1B is maxed out and no H1B visa granted to stay in USA.

What would be the next steps? Leave USA and wait the GC process in my home country? Or automatically the GC process is cancelled if I leave the country? What would I need to do outside of USA? Visiting consulates when adequate?
    Who has this experience before?

I would really appreciate if somebody can give me some directions.

aparecidobr

Originally posted by aparecidobp View Post
    What would be the next steps? Leave USA and wait the GC process in my home country?
    Yes, if you max out your L1B stay & not filed I485 (or not other visa), you have no other option, but to leave USA & wait for your priority date to get current.

You can also go out of USA for an year & then come back with a new L1 visa for another 5/7 years.
    Or automatically the GC process is cancelled if I leave the country? What would I need to do outside of USA? Visiting consulates when adequate?
    GC process is independent - it doesn't matter wherever you live, GC process (basically wait) will continue to progress.

When your priority date become current and:
    If you are in USA, then you file I485 (also called AOS - Adjustment of Status)
    If you are NOT in USA, get your GC via consular processing in your home country (lengthy & time consuming)
    Who has this experience before?
    Almost 50% of L1 visa holders go through this situation.

They leave the country before few month of completing their full 5/7 year tenure, so that they can file extension for their remaining time, whenever their priority date become current.
    Or else switch to H1B visa.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X